feeding time rogers message

From: "robert and carla lawson" <robandcarla@hotmail.com>
To: ridecamp@endurnance.net
Subject: feeding time
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 01:23:19 PDT

Just read Roger's post about Omni. So know I am obviously worried sick about
my horses.
I feed once per day my horses are not on a training schedule, very light to
nearly no riding maybe for 1 hour a week on a good week.
I feed about 2 pounds (total) of feed once daily to each mare.consisting
of:oats, shelled corn and 14% sweet mix.
Lately the feedings have been sporadic mostly between 1-2:30pm.
They have good pasture of mixed grasses and are the only two animals on this
pasture. I have a pretty basic salt block. I used to use Quest until I read
Rogers post.
I do not plan on doing any rides for the next 1 year and 46 weeks. I may
have intentions of breeding next spring pending finacial outcomes. i.e.
afford the upkeep for mare care and feeding another mouth.
I plan to begin the training process after 1 year and 26 weeks have passed.
The question is Am I harming my horse by feeding once daily? In mid
afternoon? I am not feeding huge amounts, both mares are good and healthy
coat,hooves and no personality changes. I will hear gut sounds when we do
light riding. poops and pees....drinking tons of water it has been hot here.
I am filling up a 100 gallon tank every three days pending heat and humidity
as well. My theory was if the horse is not even being rode much at all the
least amount of grain is needed.
If I were training of course I would grain 2x per day and give much more
along with some condensed alfalfa and supplements..obviously gradually
increasing the intake.

carla (worry wart!!)
Ansata (got oats? got corn? got sweet feed? got treats?)
Haley (I am sooo malnourished.....)
Rob (is it me or is haley getting a bigger butt?)