DOGS, BIKES & HORSES

DIANNA CHAPEK DMCHAPEK@HOTMAIL.COM
My horses are used to MY dogs, not to stange dogs that horses see as predators.  Not sure I want them used to ALL dogs.  How can they distinquish which dogs are friend or foe until it's too late?  I had a mare who was bitten by a dog & had to have stitches.  She was unconcerned (aren't all dogs friendly?) when this large dog ran in front of her, jumped up & bit her shoulder.  I'm sure she thought it was just playing like her own dogs did with her.  After that, she was leary and would shy away from any dog she saw.  IMO, the problem isn't whether horses spook at dogs or not.  This would be a moot point if dog owners would leash & control their dogs like they're suppose to.  Most of the available trail system here is multi-use so my horses are ok with bikes.  Unless it's in a crowded, exciting place like at a ride.  Too much stimuli going on.  If people insist on riding bikes, it should be outside camp and never around the horses.  Let's keep ridecamps are safe as possible.  Why ask for trouble?
Dianna & Critters