Re: RC: Type A horses/good or bad?

At 11:00 AM 6/14/00 -0400, Debi wrote:
Forgive me for jumping in here, but I beg to differ with your thoughts above.
I don't think a wired horse should be so easily dismissed.  You just never
know...

There are always exceptions to the rule, but there are some pretty good rules of thumb about what is desirable in an endurance horse.  When looking for an endurance prospect, you try to find a horse with the highest number of traits associated with endurance success.  You of course don't just dismiss any horse that has lots of good traits because of one bummer trait  - but then the trick is to determine how much of a handicap this will be, and whether or not you can/want to deal with it.  Being wired obviously doesn't prevent a horse from endurance success, nevertheless I don't think anyone would recommend *seeking out* horses that are wired as endurance candidates.

As far as type A horses, as Heidi has pointed out, some can be that way and not let it become a major handicap.  Other horses get carried away by their behavior into metabolic, behavior, whatever problems that can result in pulls, not wins. I'm sure there are more type A horses with ordinary or worse records than there are ones that match CBS Redman 's record.  I could be wrong of course (it happens!), but I think if everyone remembers what ridecamps are like after the initial minutes of settling in, *most* of the horses there aren't acting like Type A's.  Most are settled down, munching hay & gazing around.  The pacers, fretters, screamers, backhoes, etc. are not only the exception to the rule, but nobody wants to camp next to them!  Lif

Lif & Paul Strand
  STRAND ENTERPRISES fasterhorses.com
providing you with alternatives for your life
Web Page Design * Computer Graphics * Internet Research * Fine Art
Blue-Green Algae & other complementary health options
Arabian Horses for Distance Riding
fax: (561) 594-4609