OD (Not quite half a ride)

Well since I have fussed at Roger and Howard to write about their losses as
well as their wins, decided I had better do the same...
After Coujur was so awesome at Longstreets Charge last weekend, I figured I
would probably just be riding to get around the OD 50.  You have already
heard about the heat and humidity so will not repeat except to say...No one
exaggerated!!!!  It was awful.  By traveling at his usual warm-up pace and
then flying on the gravel road which is the one place to make time all day,
we arrived at VC 2 near the leaders who unfortunately left on the 100 mile
trail instead of the 50 and so were first out of there.  Then came the
"rockpile" mileage between Fitchetts and Mccoys.  One gal caught up with me
near the top of Shermans and picked up the pace down the other side but
Coujur caught her with recovery at the VC and we left there with a 1 minute
lead and all kinds of horse.  Amazing ...but that was my downfall.  Coujur
said all the walking on the rocks was boring and as we had dirt trail , it
was time to bogey.. Arrived at Liberty Hall with a 10 minute lead and 5 miles
to go and I am thinking ,,wow this couldn't happen twice in a
row....Boom.....found NO SHADE, Limited water and the highest H and H of the
day.  Pulse requirement was 60 and 64 was the closest he got for over 30
minutes.  Great vets found me some shade and kept taking temps until he
finally got down to normal pulse and temp.  So we finished this one in the
trailer but thank goodness with a healthy horse who will be ready to go again
sooner than I will as usual.
Has already won the greatest award anyway,,,,the Baird and Farmer family gave
a Lawton Johnston Memorial Award to Me at the pre ride meeting.  I cannot
imagine anything ever topping that.

PS went out and helped crew for Daughter Nina the rest of the evening..she
eventually finished tied for third and fourth with Karen Clark  on the 100.
I was never so happy to not be riding a 100;

Susan Kasemeyer