Big Horse, Little Rider

Big Horse, Little Rider Part 1
By: Jennifer L. Bramhall

     "Come on Jen, we are going to be late," my Dad hollered.  Today was the
day I went without my Dad to an endurance ride.  It would be my third 50 mile
endurance ride.  I was packed and ready to go in five minutes.  I was so
excited, yet so scared.  I had to feed and tack my horse up all by myself! I
never did that before.  I didn't know what to feed him, when to feed him and
how to tack him up correctly.  The day before, Roxanne Ciccone, one of my
Dad's friends, called telling me I was going to the Ponce De Leon endurance
ride with her and leaving my Dad behind. Rebel, my Arab, was my
responsibility and I had to feed him and tack him up by myself.   Roxanne
said she would help me tighten the girth and stuff like that but most of the
time I was looking after him.

    As we were driving, I took notes on how to feed Rebel.  "Make sure you
mix up the beet pulp and sweet feed together," my Dad said.  Everything he
said I wrote down.  The drive to Roxanne's house took about an hour and a
half.  The plan was my dad and I were going to get to Roxanne's, eat dinner
and spend the night there.  Then, in the morning, get everything into the
truck, load the horses up and go, go, go!  Dad kept on telling me over and
over and over again to be polite and don't argue with Roxanne.  I knew that;
what was I, stupid? I know not to back talk to adults (unless they were my
parents).

When we finally got there, it looked as if no one was home.  We went up the
back porch and knocked on the door.  No answer.  My Dad opened the door and
yelled, "Roxanne, Roxanne!"  "I'm in the laundry room," shouted Roxanne.  The
house was beautiful.  A two story house with almost everything made out of
wood.  A small, yet perfect kitchen and lots of rooms for just one person.
We found her washing her cute Australian Terriers, Ricky and Scarlet.
Scarlet was Ricky's mom.  Scarlet was in the washing machine and Roxanne was
scrubbing Ricky in the sink.

    My Dad and I cracked up at the sight of Scarlet.  Her paws were on top of
the washing machine and the rest of her was in it.  Roxanne explained that it
was the only way to keep her from shaking off the flea shampoo.  My Dad and
Roxanne talked and then my dad went exploring.  I stayed and helped Roxanne.
When both terriers were nice and clean Roxanne and I caught up with my Dad.
He was in the kitchen looking at pictures.

    "These are really cool", my Dad said as he flipped through Roxanne's
pictures of endurance riding.  "Thank you", Roxanne said.  Roxanne was fixing
up dinner.  As Roxanne fixed dinner, My Dad and I got Rebel out of our horse
trailer and boy was he glad!  He had his own pen with rye grass galore! He
looked really happy.  We fed him then headed in for some real supper.  We had
a wonderful salad with cooked carrots, potatoes, and some baked pork chops.
My Dad gobbled it all down.  It was a real home baked meal but I wasn't
really that hungry but I did eat.

    Later, I got all my things out of my Dad's diesel engine truck and
Roxanne asked where my food was.  My Dad told her that he would give her
money for me to buy some food at a seven eleven.  Roxanne shook her head.
She said she wasn't going shopping.  After a lot of argument, Roxanne
convinced to buy me some food.  I told him what to buy and not to mess up!

While he was gone, Roxanne told me I could sleep in the guest room.  I laid
my suitcase below the bed and my pillow and blanket on top of it.  I took a
look around the house. A nice living room with a medium sized TV.  Then, I
climbed the stairs and saw another bed.  I asked Roxanne if I could sleep in
it instead of the guest room and my Dad could have the guest room instead of
the couch.  She agreed.  My Dad got home and had bought me Gatorade,
Nutri-Grain bars, and some Lunchables ( If you don't know what a Lunchable is
you need to get out more!).  When Roxanne told him I was sleeping upstairs,
he went upstairs and said, "Jen always gets the good spots, I love sleeping
upstairs". But I held my place and told I got the loft.  He backed off and
just then the two terriers, Ricky and Scarlet, came in.

    Ricky jumped all over my Dad.  Scarlet licked my palm.  I reached down
and pick her up.  Boy was she heavy! She nearly knocked me down!  Ricky then
got jealous of her mother and ran all over me faster than you can say "Halt,
who goes there!"  It was getting late so I got ready for bed.  My Dad and
Roxanne went downstairs and started to talk.  My Dad told me to go to bed.
What does he think I am! He saw me getting my pajamas on! Gosh he can really
get on my nerves!

Anyway I just wanted to go to bed.  But first I asked Roxanne to wake me up
when she did.  She told me that she woke up at six and would take a shower
then wake me up.  I agreed.  The bad thing about sleeping upstairs with in a
room that had NO walls was that it was really noisy! I said goodnight to
Roxanne then Dad and I finally got to sleep and I was so scared about the
endurance ride!

       When I woke up, I fumbled around for my glasses then looked around.
Light was peering in through the windows so I could see pretty much
everything.  I was kind of tired but my body wouldn't go to bed!  Just then a
light came on and then Roxanne opened her bedroom door.  I sat up and she
took a look to see if I was awake or not.  She went downstairs and told me I
could come down for breakfast when I was ready.  Ricky came out and saw me
and jumped on my bed.  Scarlet was to old to jump so, I got out of bed and
lifted her up onto the loft.  I scratched their necks and pet their backs.
GGRR went my stomach.  I was hungry! I set Scarlet and Ricky down and quickly
got dressed.  I went down stairs and saw Roxanne.

    "Which do you like better? Corn Flakes or Quaker Cereal?" asked Roxanne.
"Since I like its oatmeal I think I will like its cereal, Quaker Cereal
please," I replied.   Roxanne got the cereal I chose out and then a bowl than
the milk.  She told me where the spoons were than she got her breakfast
ready.  I was already eating when my Dad finally got up.

He went to the bathroom and when he got out I thanked him for the Gatorade,
Nutri-Grain bars, and Lunchables.  He said your welcome.  Roxanne and I
packed my food and drinks in a Styrofoam    cooler.  We were nearly ready to
get on the road.  I put my suitcase, pillow ,and blanket in the living
courtiers in Roxanne's trailer.  My Dad and I fed Rebel and Roxanne fed her
horses.  Roxanne was bringing Spirit to Ponce De Leon as a training ride for
the Baltimore.  James Agnew was going to sponsor me.  If he didn't come then
I would go with Samantha and Sandy Thomson.

My Dad, Roxanne, and I loaded up everything.  We double checked that we had
all we needed for the trip.  Next, we tried to get Rebel into the trailer.
And boy was he a Rebel! We tried everything to get him in.  My Dad got kind
of worried we were going to have to twitch him.  But I waked him on the but
and he went.  Rebel has never been in a trailer that was so narrow.  My Dad's
trailer was nice and wide and it had a ramp.  Roxanne got her horse in like a
snap.  She told me that Spirit had training so that was why he behaved better
than Rebel did.  I hugged my Dad good-bye and told him I would see him
Sunday.  I got in the truck and we were off.

Big Horse, Little Rider Part 2
By: Jennifer L. Bramhall

    I had brought my cereal because I was hungry but I couldn't eat anymore.
I asked where to put it and Roxanne said I could give it to Scarlet.  Scarlet
was allowed out of her cage but Ricky wasn't because she was always too
hyper.  Scarlet gobbled it all up and looked at me as if she wanted more.
"Sorry Scarlet but I don't have anymore," I told her.  She seemed to
understand because she jumped to the ground and looked for something else to
do.

Later, Roxanne and I stopped for gas.  I went in and got some chips.  I
already had a drink in the trailer.  After we paid, I got a soda from the my
cooler in the living courters of the trailer.  I also got Triskits and a
Gatorade for later.  I got back in the car and we were back on road again.
Then, maybe and hour or so later, we stopped at a Kentucky Fried Chicken for
our dinner.

    When we were almost there, we stopped at a rest area to meet one of
Roxanne's friends.  Roxanne and I went to the bathroom with the dogs.  When
we got out we saw Roxanne's friend's truck.  We ran as fast as we could get
the dogs to go.  Since Roxanne was walking Ricky, Roxanne got there first.
Scarlet doesn't run as fast as Ricky.  Roxanne and her friend talked for a
while.  Then, they decided to let Roxanne in front and have her friend
follow.

    Roxanne would ask me if I could see her friend everytime she couldn't.
One time I couldn't see Roxanne's friend and we guessed that we were either
going to fast or she just goes plain slow.  There really isn't much to say
what happens next because we just sat in the car.  When we were nearly there
we say an AERC sign and then I took a look at how get there. I read the last
direction and it was a cool place, it looked like one really cool ride.  The
campsite was not completely roomy but it wasn't cramped either.  Roxanne
spotted two of her friends, Carol and Vicki.

    When they saw us, they signaled us over.  "Why don't we all park together
as a group?" Roxanne suggested.  "Sure that would be cool, " said Vicki.
Everyone agreed and we se up.  Roxanne's friend we met at the rest area
parked next to us and Carol and Vicki parked behind us horizontal.  We were
really close to the vet check, thank heaven! My dad always parks miles away
from it! Since Spirit was last to load, he was first to unload.  He is one
really trained horse!  She didn't have to even get IN the trailer! She just
asked Spirit to back out, then she would grab his halter-lead rope and tied
him up to the trailer.  We had a real hard time making Rebel back out of the
trailer.  He's used to a much wider trailer and he normally turns around in
the trailer instead of going backwards.  "Come on Rebel!" Roxanne started
yelling.  Rebel started backing up.  He only needed one more step to get out.
 He raised his back right hove and moved back, expecting something hard and
high above the ground but as he touched the ground he jerked it back up and
moved forward several steps.  It took some time but I started talking to him
and he paid more attention to my voice then the ground.  he hesitated but he
finally backed out! I gave him a hug and kept telling him what a good boy he
was.  Roxanne showed me this special knot that keeps the horse from jerking
away from the trailer.

    Now, it was time to set up the pen.  Roxanne told me to unpack and get
the chairs out.  I got all the chairs out and got Rebel's sweet feed and
electric lights where Roxanne put hers.  I had already put my tack where
Roxanne had told me to.  When Roxanne had finished with the pen, We put our
horses in it.  She had put a divider just in case they decided to fight.
Since we had already fed the horses, we just started unpacking and gave the
horses some flakes of hay.  We set up her thing ( I forget what it is called
) that keeps us in the shade.  I decided to eat one of my Lunchables because
I was getting hungry.

    There really isn't much that happened until we registered.  We got a bag
filled with our vet cards, T-shirts, maps, trash bags, an agenda, and a
dinner card for Saturday after the ride.  W waited a few hours and went to
the vet check.  We got the horses lead ropes on and headed toward the vet
check.  Rebel was really exited.  He was neighing like crazy! He hadn't been
with this many horses in a long time! We got in the very unbusy line and
noticed we didn't see James Agnew anywhere! We didn't see Samantha and Sandy
Thomson either.  Uh-oh! Now I don't have a sponsor! Roxanne said she
would be my sponsor.  We double checked to see if James or Sandy were here.
We asked this lady and she told us neither of them are coming because a foal
was due and the other just couldn't come.

    We got our vet cards out and got in line again.  Rebel was very hyper and
he was very attached to Spirit.  While Roxanne and Spirit went, Rebel neighed
and I could hardly keep control of him.  One of the ladies helped me calm him
down until it was our turn.  He behaved well and got all A's.  Afterwards I
let him drink and eat in a patch of grass while Roxanne was trying to get
spirit to take a drink.  Rebel barely drinks but he got enough for the night
in his system.

    Later, we fed the horses and gave them some more flakes of hay.  Plus we
made sure they had water and we had everything ready for tomorrow.  We ate
our Kentucky Fried Chicken for dinner.  Then, we went to the ride meeting.
Roxanne and I got chairs and took our maps and headed to where they had it.
The ride meeting was really late, since we changed time zones it killed me!
We were supposed to start at 5:00am but people complained, so the pushed it
to 6.  We were going to wake up at 4:30am (their in central time zone, so it
was only 5:30am to me) and start at 6 or 7 ( I can't remember but I know it
was early!).  They went through the map but I didn't really pay attention
because I was ready to fall asleep.  Finally they explained the trails and
how they were marked.  It finally ended and I went straight to bed.
~

Big Horse, Little Rider Part 3
Written By: Jennifer Bramhall

BEEP, BEEP, BEEP! went a car horn.  I hadn't waken up yet.  Roxanne had. She
got up quietly and went outside to feed the horses.  "Wake up Jennifer!"
Roxanne said.  She had called my name several times but I hadn't budged.  She
threw Scarlet down off the upper bed where she was sleeping onto me down on
the chair-bed.  I woke up immediately.  "I fed the horses, " Roxanne told me.
 "Thank you so much, I really appreciate it, " I said.  "It was nothing, now
get dressed, I'll be out side getting coffee, " Roxanne said.  I nodded and
slapped on my T-shirt, sweater, plus my Dad's coat, which I looked really
goofy in but it was warm.  I slipped into my riding pants, socks, riding
boots and gloves.  I stepped outside.  It wasn't that bad but it was chilly.
I went in the tack room and got my quarter chaps on and placed my helmet in
my chair.  Carol and Vicki were up and same with Roxanne's friend we met at
the rest area.
~
    Later, after everyone had coffee and I had some hot chocolate, we were
ready to tack up.  I got Rebel tied up.  He was really chilly but I rubbed
him and he stopped shaking.  He was a Florida horse and hated cool weather
sometimes, at other times he loved it and I mean he LOVED it.  I got his
saddle pad on and tried to put on the saddle, but failed.  Rebel kept on
moving and I wasn't as quick as he was.  When Roxanne had her saddle on she
helped me and every five minutes we would tighten it because he kept on
floating.  One of my Dad's friends came over and helped me put the bridle on.
she kept saying, '' The bratty girl on the bratty horse".  She was just
playing.  Roxanne and I tightened the girth one last time and got on.  I was
really starting to get the hang of this.  Earlier, we had put all of our vet
check and beet pulp together and then, Roxanne showed me how to put the
electric lights in Rebel.
~
    When I got on, Rebel started to move because he couldn't stand still!  It
wasn't that cold, it was nice to actually have some nice weather for once.
Roxanne and I got to the starting point right.  "the bratty horse and the
bratty little rider" someone said.  I turned Rebel around.  It was my Dad's
friend that helped me with the bridle.  I really liked her England accent.
"Roxanne, I'll take Jennifer off your hands if you want me to, " the lady
suggested.  "Thats OK, she's not a problem, " Roxanne said. ( thats a good
thing because that lady got in top ten! Rebel isn't ready for that,
especially in the 50!) When the race started, Roxanne and I started slow.  We
walked the first mile.  Normally my Dad would trot or maybe even canter like
everyone else.  But I was fine.  After and hour or so, Rebel had started
doing a nice, solid canter. Roxanne allowed it.
                        ~
    When we finished the first 11 miles, we went into one busy line for the
vet check.  We had to pull tack unless we had a reason.  If you didn't pull
tack you had to loosen the girth.  Roxanne pulled her tack, got the horses to
eat and drink and got through the vet check.  Rebel got an over all A-
because his gut sounds got a B+.  We were 5 minutes late for our out time
because Rebel wouldn't take his electric lights but Roxanne helped me.

the second loop was the most dangerous!  We had to go along a train track and
cross it twice! ( we had gone on a trail ride the day before, we had not seen
a train though, thats a very good thing!)  We crossed the first time
perfectly but, the second time was really hard!  We had to get a guy to lead
Rebel across then Roxanne and a friend who rode Genius (which was no
genius!).  Then Randy, my Dad's friend controlled the water and we got a
drink there.  Just then the 25's came in and didn't even take a drink!  We
got back to camp and same thing, busy lines.  After this, it won't be so
busy, I thought.

So far, I was in last place but I loved it.  I would get a bunch of prizes
for turtle!  We were 9 minutes late for our out time but we didn't care.
This loop was a breeze and before I knew it, we saw Randy.  We got a drink.
Hunter, Randy's son was in the car.  Kay, Randy's wife had done a 25 and had
came in 13 or so.  I was getting hot so we gave our sweaters and jackets to
Randy to keep in safe keeping.  One more loop! We cantered a mile or so and
than walked until we got to camp.
                        ~
    We did our second to last vet check with an over all A- again.  But it
was OK.  We gave the horses their electric lights, Roxanne tacked up and all
three of us were off.  Genius was really moody and she was a kicker too.
Rebel seemed to know that because on the last loop he got either in front of
her and more close to Spirit or yards behind her.  We were on the worst loop.
 The train loop! What made it the worst was, you had train track on your left
and barbed wire on your right! Basically, the perfect trap! When we were
nearly a mile away from Randy and a train came by but we were really far
away.  Rebel stepped forward in curiosity then backed away like crazy.
Spirit turned around and was about to gallop in the other direction!  Genius
just stared at it go by.  We headed toward Randy and Kay.  Since we were the
last ones, they just had to pack up and left after we went.  They were yards
and yards away.  We started to canter but had to walk on the stones.
Finally, the last vet check.  This time, I took off my tack.  Rebel got an
over all A- again! It was like a curse or something! He always got an over
all A-!
                        ~
    Later, We had the dinner and wrote our names on the back because there
would be a drawing and you would get a prize.  Wonderful chicken and gravy!
Hot roll, vegetables and brownies for dessert.  There was also a cake, too.
While we ate, the had the Award Ceremony.  I won the turtle, a bucket, a
journal, and Carbo Charge.  Then I got a pre registration to another
endurance ride for being 2nd Junior.  Then, I won the drawing which was HP 20
( for hooves ).  It was funny, when I got up there for the third time the
lady said, "Jennifer Bramhall, again".

That was my endurance ride.  If you want to know, on the way back, Roxanne
bumped her trailer into one of those telephone polls and bent something near
her wheel.  She almost started cursing!  It was really fun and everyone wish
Roxanne good luck at Baltimore!  I hoped you liked my story! I might write
another one! Not!
~