riding safety

Because of my recent knee injury, I've decided not to compete with Special
this year.  I was really bummed, though, about missing out on the rides and
was really looking forward to meeting new people and getting to know people I
already knew a little better.  I was chatting with a friend who suggested we
volunteer as safety riders, so this weekend, we went to a MOTDRA sponsored
ride.  [MOTDRA does both endurance and CTR, but doesn't follow NATRC rules on
the competitive trail rides.]  This was a CTR and was "only" 30 miles for the
open and 15 miles for the limited distance.

Special went on the first ten mile loop to follow the 15 mile riders
(supposedly) and put out the tokens for the second loop.  I had expected my
mellow, fairly low key Tennessee Walker to be pretty good at this riding drag
thing, and thought my knee would be my biggest problem.  Nope.  This mare
wanted to RACE.  Spent the day saying, "we can win this, MOM."

I discovered pretty early that the 15 milers I was following were going so
slowly that I was going to have to pass in order to get the tokens out to the
end of the loop by the time the first 30 milers were getting there for the
second time.  Up to that point, I had been turning Special in circles and
working on rating her speed down to a walk.  I was really happy by how well
she did in terms of settling down and coming to terms with the idea of
staying behind the other horses and in allowing me to rate her speed.  Though
she was ECSTATIC when allowed to pass them.  We did some cantering, but the
was rocky in places and the rocks were hidden in the grass, but it was a good
lesson for Special and I both in watching our footing carefully and being
prepared to slow down suddenly.

All in all, it was a good training ride for us and the "official" riders were
really nice and thanked me for helping with the ride.  The ten miles was
enough of a ride for me at this point because my knee was starting to really
hurt by about mile 8, though I was quite relieved that Special did not seem
affected by the ride at all.  In fact, I managed to get one of the volunteers
to take Special back out onto the trail briefly so that she could get
accustomed to the idea that just because she gets back to camp and the saddle
comes off does not necessarily mean that the ride is over.  My volunteer
reported that Special seemed eager to get back on the trail and moved out
well, but would not do the running walk her.  But, the person doing me the
favor had never ridden a gaited horse before either.  I think Special and I
both learned a lot by volunteering to help.  I think doing this for a whole
season before competing will be good for us.

Rhonda and Special