Re: RC: Computer protection

At 03:20 PM 6/10/00 -0600, Lif Strand wrote:

At 09:52 PM 6/10/00 +0100, Colin wrote:
it is interesting to see the number of
attempts to access our computer by other computers.

Wouldn't accessing a cookie be registered as an attempt to access a computer?

No, the web server would request the cookie in its reply to your request for a page.

One thing to remember is that connection attempts can come from things like trying to browse the "Network Neighborhood", so not all of these are really attempts to hack you. Esp. if you're on ADSL or cable modems, there will definately be people trying to get in, so there is something to be concerned about.

Another good personal IDS (Intrusion Detection System) is Black Ice. Forget where their web site is at the moment.

Biggest thing to worry about is if you're running Windows 95-98, don't enable file or print sharing. After that, attachments are your biggest threat. If you're running Windows NT or Windows 2000, then things get more complicated, and I'll help off-line.

David LeBlanc
dleblanc@mindspring.com