Californio 100

Marci Cunningham mcunningham@calcot.com
Twenty seven hardy souls started out last Saturday morning on the
Californio 100 at Lake Elizabeth CA.  The trail quickly takes you
to the PCT (Pacific Crest Trail) after 10 or so miles of fire
break roads and you stay on the PCT for the next 55 miles.  This
is a one loop 100, which I really like, that travels through
narrow single track trail lined with chaparrel, manzanita and
pine trees.  It is nice that the single track trail is all in the
first 55 miles and the balance of the ride is wide dirt roads
and fire break type of trail.  No scary trail after dark.

My riding partner and I started about 5 minutes after the other
riders and we didn't see another horse until the 55 mile check.
Soon after we started my friend got sick to her stomach and
started throwing up.  This continued to the first hour hold at
20 miles.  It took us 5 hours to go this far, talk about a slow
pace.  She started feeling better and we picked up the pace and
got to the next hour hold at 55 miles at 4.  There was actually
a horse still in the hold waiting to go out.  The part of the
trail that we had just finished was the prettiest part of the
ride with lots of shady pines and grass to graze on along the
way.  This trail is a favorite hiking trail and we passed a
number of hikers on their way to the Canadian border.  For those
of you unfamiliar with the PCT, it winds from the Mexican border,
through California, Oregon and Washington all the way to Canada.

The next section of the trail dropped us down onto the desert
floor and after crossing Hwy 138 we were on the flat.  The temps
were cooling (it was 90 during the day) and the horses felt
great.  We galloped most of this section of the trail with the
wind at our back.  What an awsome feeling to have that much horse
left after 65 miles of trail.  Of course we weren't traveling at
a top 10 pace earlier in the day.  We made it to the 80 mile
check just after dark.  The horses plunged into their hay and
didn't take their heads out of it except to trot for the vet.
Tammy Robinson was crewing for her group and let us munch on some
of their horse munchies.  We were riding the ride without a crew
and ride management was great at getting our crew bags to each
hour hold.  They even sent us off on the next 20 miles with
PB&J sandwiches in our fanny packs.  It was slow going after dark
compounded by kids pulling down the glow bars on about 2 miles of
trail heading into the 92 mile vet check.  Ride management sent
out a driver that met us on the dirt road and made sure we got
into the vet check.  I had ridden this ride twice before but this
was a new section of trail that I wasn't familiar with.

The Robinson bunch was still in the 92 mile vet check when we
arrived and we stayed about 15 minutes behind them into the
finish, arriving at the finish at 3am.  Based on the way the ride
started I was glad that we finished before daylight.  I have to
give my riding partner a gold star for perseverence as she was
pretty green around the gills for the first 20 miles.  As she
said later on, endurance riders are enduring and aren't quitters.
Eighteen riders completed the course which was won by Boyd
Zontelli.  Look out for him at Tevis!

The discussion on ridecamp recently about electrolytes was
certainly helpful.  I went through 3 tubes of lite now that I
had won at the convention, giving half a tube at water stops
after my horse had a long drink and eaten some hay.  This is a
horse that tends not to be a good eater in the heat but he ate
well all day.  He was also electrolyted Friday night and Saturday
morning.  I plan on keeping the empty syringes and refilling them
with doses from the large dose tube which is more cost effective
than the smaller ones.  By the way, the horses looked great in
the morning.  Not an ounce of filling in my geldings legs, no I
don't wrap after any endurance ride, and when we got home, only
2 hours away, he trotted off to meet his buddies in pasture and
have a good roll.

I always say that I don't like 100 milers, especially the miles
after the 80 mile point, but this ride is so close to home and
ride management is so much fun that I am a glutton for
punishment when it comes to the Californio 100.  More riders
should take advantage of this ride as no other distances are
offered and we all have fun.

Happy Trails,
Marci Cunningham
& Koztarr