Re: RC: RE: Re: ice boots

Bob,

Your statement is very true about the insulating
factor of water.  I see folks from out West come to
the East to ride and simply soak their horses.
They're used to the water evaporating & cooling the
horse where as here, we have to scrape the water off &
re-apply cool water.  I've heard of adding rubing
alcohol to the water to increase evaporation, but I
have never tried it.

As to ice boots, ours has a liner that effectively
wicks away moisture so there is minimal water on the
horse's skin to act as an insulator.  Though ice will
insulate, it is still contributing a cooler
environment for the blood to flow past than the core
body temp.  Heat is lost.

As a nurse, how would I treat you if you came under my
care as a patient and had a high temperature?  At any
of the hospitals where I have worked, we would use
strategically placed ice packs or blankets that
circulate ice water to bring down a dangerously high
temperature.  It works for horses too.

Our practical experience has shown that our horses are
cooled with just the ice boots (without sponging).
We're curious folks & like to test things like this on
our herd.  Needless to say, we use both the ice boots
and sponging when at vet checks.

Linda Flemmer
Blue Wolf Ranch
Bruceton Mills, WV