Fw: AP story

Jasper Mortimer worked with one of the Pyramids stables teams on the day of
the 100 km race and reported the race for Associated Press. During the day,
volunteer stewards had noted that rider number 7 (as the story quotes me)
was wearing spurs and I both passed that on to FEI people and told our
stewards to inform the FEI of infractions, as that was their job to enforce.
After the race, I was asked to find out the proper procedure to file a
complaint about the spurs, so I emailed  the FEI and was told that the
Egyptian federation had to file a complaint with the international
federation. Since this ride had been held without input from the Egyptian
federation and without any involvement on their part, there was no one we
could ask there to file the complaint.
Locally, we dropped the matter, but apparently Jasper did not. As he notes
in his story, AP found that, in addition to plenty of photographs that were
taken and even published showing Maktoum wearing spurs (but which cannot pin
down whether he took them off as FEI says he did), they had videotape of the
race showing the spurs later in the day as well.
 In the course of his discussions with Michael Stone, Jasper gave Michael my
phone number here in Egypt and Michael called me. The FEI gave very mixed
messages regarding the complaint procedure throughout this issue. In an
email, we were told it had to go through official channels. Verbally, I was
told that anyone could file a complaint and apparently some people from
Egypt did, by email again. They were apparently told that they needed hard
evidence such as photos. No one has been quite sure what was going on,
except that everytime something regarding the issue came up in email
discussions here, there were reactions from Dubai. This is not a local issue
and our race is not the point. The subsequent handling of the matter is the
point. The AP apparently plans to publish a follow-up article today, since
the FEI says that they will not investigate in the absence of a complaint
(?).
This is probably worth following.

Maryanne Stroud Gabbani
Cairo, Egypt