Re: RC: RE: forging/club feet

Hi Kathy
I had Moses come down and work on Explodent a few times and work with my
local farrier. The work did well for a while and then we were no longer
fighting rotated coffin but rather contracted tendons. Then we went the
other way with Don Birdsall of  Alamo Pintado affiliation. His theory
was successful for a time and then when that seemed to stop working we
went to Tony Vickers and then Dan Bradley who worked with one of the
heads of Cal Poly Pomona's program.... and on... and on... but we kept
Expo alive and reasonably comfortable (of course, he always had his
mares in his pasture which helped keep his mind off it) for 6 years past
when he probably would have been put down. He was so magnificent and had
such an appreciation for life, we all did our best and the farriers each
had their unique contribution. Not one theory worked forever (even had a
consultation with the hotshot in Texas who developed that special shoe).
It was a constant teeter-totter with Expo in the middle, never
complaining.
The last desperate measure was a double tenectomy by Charlie Boles (at
5AM on the lawn); operation was a success. Expo got up 2 weeks later
from sleeping and shattered his sesmoid--- he had to be put down at that
point to save him from excruciating pain when his leg would
break---inevitable--- so much osteoporosis from the chronic laminitis
(caused originally from a high fever Christmas Eve--- no vet answered
their  phones nor checked their machines until it was too late and he
had sloughed both his front hooves).
So bottom line--- there are MANY farrier and vet theories about angles
and treatments of conditions--- and some are 180 degrees diametrically
opposed-- and they are all by highly respected experts. And they all
worked at different points in the progression of the disease. I am a big
believer in balanced shoeing but I have to tell you, what is balanced in
one farrier's eyes is unbalanced in others'. The best thing I learned
was to have the feet xrayed (if there is a problem) regularly to see
where the coffin bone was and what was going on inside--- not always
evident on the outside until too late, sometimes. I believe that is
probably what Ti was referring to. Very important with laminitis and
apparently club feet in some cases, depending on etiology.
Bette (Yes and I always get misty-eyed when I write about Expo and have
to insert my little tribute to him for anyone who hasn't seen it yet:
http://www.arabiansporthorse.com/Explodent.htm  He was a magnificent
sire and great soul.
Bette

Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians, Home of 16.2hh TLA Halynov
(yes, REALLY!)