Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 21:33:34 -0400
To: cavers@ditell.com
From: Eric McMaster <mcmaster@mindspring.com>
Subject: Garmin Problem

Since more and more people are using Garmin GPS units I thought I'd pass
along something I learned the hard way.

The internal lithium backup battery on my Garmin GPS unit (3 years old)
died on me. It is suppose to last 10+years. Now I have to reprogram the
unit everytime I change batteries. Dale Green clued me in that that Garmin
uses a rechargeable backup battery in their GPS units.

Keep good AA batteries in Garmins at all times. I had a habit of leaving
dead batteries in my Garmin for long lengths of time. This cycle of
draining and recharging the backup battery finally did it in.

This is NOT documented in the manual!!!!!

(the battery is a vanadium pentoxide lithium, Panasonic VL1220)

-Eric McMaster

End of Cavers Digest 5677
begin:vcard
n:Pollock;Don & Linda
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
version:2.1
email;internet:donp@dcr.net
note:JR- YEH DADDY,  I am really home now!!  Oh,tall grass again!
adr;quoted-printable:;;Oak Hill Farm=0D=0A1400 Birdie Road;Lawrenceburg;Kentucky;40342;
fn:Don & Linda Pollock & JR n Bay Star
end:vcard