Ride story - Long

Top of the Rock 25, 50, 100 mile Endurance
June 2-3, 2000

After last weekend when I failed to finish a 30 mile CTR, Sheltowee Run,  my
first competition of the year, I was anxious to finish this ride. It wasn't
Rider's fault that we didn't finish the CTR, it was me.  I hate to ride in
the rain, but I thought I was being brave as I was planing our strategy for
the next loop (two 15 mile loops) as we were trotting along on the first go
round, splashing, dripping and sucking mud. Had every intention of doing the
next loop even though my white tee shirt was plastered to my body (big
mistake), my shoes were making squishing noises in the stirrups, and water
was dripping off my horse's chin. I know this because I was bent over his
neck  as we swam through the low hanging foliage. One of the images that
sticks in my mind like a great snapshot, and you don't have your camera, was
when about five of us were standing in a creek sponging our horses as it was
raining in sheets. A fellow rider spoke what none of us seemed to think at
the moment. "Is something wrong with this picture?"
The negative turning point was when the wind picked up several notches to
blow down trees in the forest, even over the trail, lighting was striking way
too close, and the rain was coming down so hard I couldn't keep my eyes
clear.  The trail turned into a running, muddy stream. Then I got cold.  This
wasn't fun any more, and that's why I do it. So about 3 miles out from camp,
I became a quitter...

However, this weekend proved to be just the opposite. What a difference the
weather can make.  Friday was hot and very humid, but the forecast was for
late afternoon showers and cooling off for Saturday. Thank the heavens they
were right!  Saturday proved to be one of those perfect days, low temps, low
humidity, and sunny.
Rider was full of himself, as he hadn't been ridden all week. He bucked at
the trot out, so got an A for impulsion. By-the-way, Rider is a Paint, not
one of those light footed, floating Arabs. Actually he got all A's at his
check-in which pleased me, for his back can sometimes be a problem and I've
run out of money for saddles.
I lounged him for a while after supper to get some stink out. Then got on
cold the next morning. After a tiny bucking attempt, all was well and we were
off on our first Endurance competition. We were riding with a friend who was
riding a substitute while her regular mount recouped from a lameness problem.
Mary Lynn is quite daring, as her substitute (cute little Arab mare) hadn't
been ridden in distance competition in two years!  My horse just turned five
with one year of slow (Novice) NATRC under his belt, so we certainly weren't
going to go fast, and racing wasn't in either of our minds. Did I mention he
is a Paint, as in way non-Arab. We started near the end with others of like
mind.
All the horses were feeling great and Rider was full of go.  We were facing
into oncoming 50 milers at the beginning where the trail back-tracks, and
this had Rider's head up, but after thirty or so flying by us, he finally
accepted the strangeness and kept up his forward motion instead of wanting to
jump into the trees. Mary Lynn's mare is a real go getter, so her forwardness
wasn't a problem, the fact that her stalemate had left her with this ‘non
Arab' for company wasn't setting well at all though, so her HM was showing
really scary readings. We slowed to a walk until she was within norm for a
workout, then off we would go again. Mary Lynn was having some trouble riding
such a different horse, that I was hearing some growling about burning
thighs, and why she ‘really' didn't like to ride mares. Even so, the trails
and scenery along the way were awesome indeed.  Life is good.
Well, for me at least.  Mary Lynn's little mare was showing lameness in her
right front at the 15 mile check, so had to pull. I ‘think' she was
disappointed.  I was, for Rider likes to have a friend for support as he
faces all the ‘scaries' out in the great wilderness. We had done the 15 miles
in 2 hrs. and 5 min.s.  Whoa, that's faster than Rider has ever gone, except
for his regular 6 mile conditioning course here on the farm. I was very
pleased with the way he was handling it, and the vet. smiled at me as he
said, "You are not hurting this horse one little bit."  That's the idea,
right? All A's and B's here, so, I made a pitiful face to Mary Lynn's
husband, Greg and another wonderful friend Brenda who had left us at the
start.  Therefore, they stuck around the extra few minutes so I could try to
keep up with them. Well, the next ten miles were as thrilling as the first
loop was.  And this time Rider got to see horses (the racing 50 milers) fly
by him from the rear.  He handled this much better than I expected, and I
used those opportunities to let him pick up his pace. He proved to me he
could lead the pack quite well at good speed.  His problem is following on
one track trails.  He sees nothing but the horses ahead (which he tries his
darnest to right on top of), so trips over every little thing, not to mention
nearly falling several times.  Grrr.  But even this improved as we neared the
end of this loop, I just have to keep reaching for my bag of tricks, as in,
communication. He ‘finally' drank from a stream also, out of desperation I'm
sure. At the finish we walked them to the pulse check, then on to the final
exam.  Again all A's and B's, his skin tenting even improved from B to A, and
hallelujah his back stayed with an A!. We finished in the middle of the pack,
I hope to know the time spread soon. We did the last ten miles in 1 hr. 30
min. He's seen and learned a lot on the first two rides of the season and am
hoping that soon he will be the brave trail horse that I see so many flying
by solo. What wonderful creatures they are to give so willingly to our whims
of enjoyment. I know we aren't supposed to credit human feelings to our
animals, but I swear Rider was as proud of himself as I was of him.
    Thanks to Lois McAfee, Ride Manager - great trails, smooth, well run
ride. Thanks to Bill Wilson, whose farm we camped on - just beautiful, nice
and roomy. Thanks to good friends, Mary Lynn Stockdale, Greg Jones and Brenda
Kenley - for their patience and laughter. Thanks to God for the great
weather.  And thanks to Rider, who gave me a great ride on his first ever
Endurance (25mile LD), and my first endurance ride in ten years!
Now the trick is to convince him to slow down and behave for NATRC again.
Well, we were going Open this year...

Jan & Rider - the non Arab