Black Hills-Thank You

     To all the people who took time to help me find my lost horse at the Black Hills ride this last weekend.

  Some of you know me and some of you don't, and it doesn't really matter anyway.   When my beloved horse, KW Sundance, took off out of camp like a wild, crazed lunatic with his lead rope and picket snap chasing him, evaporating into the woods, I thought that I would never see him again.  The thought of losing my best friend was almost unbearable and I thought the worst.  That he would get that snap and lead caught on something in the woods and would break his neck.  Or that he would get hung up somewhere and die a slow death.  All these things go through your mind at a time like that, and it is hard to maintain some optimism.   So many of you made an effort to find him, and were so concerned, that I didn't despair as helpless, and it made me realize how many people really care.  To all of you that I did not get to thank personally, I would like to tell all of you how much I truly appreciated your efforts, and that I hope someday I will be able to return the favor to some unfortunate person who needs my help.  You were all just great.

     A happy ending to the story!  " Ricky" was found Tuesday afternoon by Jim Pitts, the brand inspector, who happened to be getting ready to move cattle into the area for summer pasture.  We had stayed on an extra day to look for him, as did several of our friends and other kind people who I can't remember names, but I thank them profusely also.   We did find his track though, so at this point I knew he was still O.K.  After much searching on Monday, we had to pack up and leave for home early Tuesday morning.  Needless to say, with a very heavy heart.  But, I did feel more optimistic at this point after speaking with Mr. Pitts, as he was very confident that we would find him.  It is an 11 hour drive for us to get to the Black Hills from Raton, N.M., so we were tired and depressed when we got home.  About two hours after getting home, the phone rings.   Jim found him about a 1/4 mile from camp, heading down the road toward camp.  Aside from a few scratches, he is fine, and as Jim said to me about his attitude," Oh he's fine, but excuse me, just like an Arab"  I take that as a compliment.  With the help of Paschal Karl, Susie Schomberg, Warren Groetsch and Jan Mutchler, we will be able to pick him up in Denver this weekend.  A big Hug and Thanks to you folks!

    As a final note, I would like to say that aside from the unfortunate happenings of this past weekend which falls into the category of " #* happens", it was an absolutely beautiful ride, well marked, well run,  great trails, I could go on and on.  Paschal, you do a great job and we will most assuredly be back. And thanks again for your support and encouragement, you are a gem of a guy.

   Happy Trails, Susan Norris-Romero

GIF image