Re: ridecamp-d Digest V00 #836

> Kat Swigart wrote in response to Amber and I: ----- Original Message -----
>> K S SWIGART katswig@earthlink.net
>>> Excuuuuse me, but what the hell is the matter with people????  This just
>>> makes me furious.
>> It shouldn't.  These shooters probably thought they were being polite and
>> considerate.  They were probably told, "There are going to be a bunch of
>> horses going by today, and they might be startled by the gunfire so when you
>> see them coming, it would be polite to stop shooting and wait until they have
>> passed before resuming."
>> And that is just what they thought they were doing.  It is beyond me why
>> people are so quick to think that other people are motivated by ill intent.
>> In my experience, almost nobody is.
> Kat, maybe I didn't explain it clearly.  They were not shooting when we
> approached-they waited until we were right opposite them, then ALL let loose a
> volley of shots.  As soon as we were, fortunately, safely past, they
> stopped-almost like they were saving ammo for the NEXT group of riders.....due
> to the large amount of trash on the ground and beer boxes, I doubt this was a
> really "upright" considerate group of people......I have nothing about
> shooting as a sport, and no problem with those shooting consideratly at a
> legal spot, but have had too many run in's with the group that brings out
> their own trash to shoot at, while going through cases of beer to give many
> the benefit of the doubt...................I was NOT at all worried riding by
> the shooting range,since my mare is pretty nonchalant about, but I suspect
> many horses would lose their brains at the sound of automatic (rapid) fire.
> But hey, maybe it was coincidence?  Anyone else have problems with those folks
> shooting?
> Karen

Karen,
 Sounds like you live down the road from our house!  You sure are talking
about the same people!
 The area where the shooters go is on USF property, an 'illegal' shooting
range that has been in operation for Many years and is just off the road a
few paces.  The litter of beer cans, worn out refrigerators and TV's are
countless not to mention all the other junk that is hauled in to shoot at.
One year we pulled down a hanging mannequin that was used for target
practice; deer and fawns have been found along the road that had been used
for target practice; a forest fire started at this site 3years ago.  I could
go on and on about this shooting range... did you know it takes
approximately 6years to officially close one of these 'illegal' shooting
ranges?!
 Anyway, I have experienced the same sort of people at this range as you
have at yours.  We NEVER ride this section of road on a weekend when the
range is at it's busiest...either from fear of getting run over when they
are leaving or getting shot while riding by.  We've even seen shooters
driving by with guns pointed out the window of their vehicle!
  I'm not against organized shooting ranges or guns that are used properly.
Hey, we even approached local gun shop owners and gun clubs to come out and
clean the place up if they wanted to keep it open.  Not one taker.
 Fortunately, after years of letter writing, pages of petitions and numerous
phone calls by all who live on our road, we have shut the range down just
this year!  We still hear the occasional gun being fired by someone who is
trying to buck the system, but for the most part, peace and quiet has once
again returned to our small neck of the woods.
  And who knows, maybe horse traffic will once again resume on our canyon
road.  It's certainly a beautiful place to ride.
Jeannie