Re: RC: RC: No Sweat

In a message dated 5/27/00 12:48:51 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
guest@endurance.net writes:

<< I think to lick even then minimum daily requirement
 from a block would be quite a feat.  >>

Our broodmares routinely go through 50-lb salt blocks at the rate of about 1
per month in the summer, average of around 10 mares per pasture.  That's 5
lbs of salt per month per mare, or a pound every 6 days, or 2-2/3 oz per day.
 Consumption drops some in cooler weather.  If I'm slow about getting them
out, and they get a bit salt hungry, they just crunch chunks off the edges
and eat them.  This is pretty typical of what I've observed on many other
places.  The folks who use loose salt don't seem to go through any more
pounds per head than we do.  I've yet to see a sore tongued horse from
licking salt blocks, although I don't doubt that it could happen.  The horses
that we ride do go through it more quickly, and will also chew it off if they
want it faster than they can lick it off.  Yes, I'm sure loose salt is a bit
easier for them, but also has the drawback of needing to be in a salt box of
some sort, or mineral feeder--one more obstacle for younguns to tangle with,
easy for dirt, etc., to get into, etc.  Just my nickel's worth...

Heidi