RC: White foamy sweat

Barb Peck bpeck@together.net
Barb Peck
bpeck@together.net

Hi!.
I just searched the RideCamp Archives, as this subject
has come up before, and I found 1998 discussion between
me and Duncan F. on this very subject..

So I'll answer again:

The sweat is foamy because it contains a protein surfactant.
If a horse is fit, works long hours (and often) into a sweat,
then this protein doesn't have time to build back up in the
cell,  hense the sweat is clearer with regular work.

We've also discussed (on this list) whether the compostition
of this white thicker sweat is different than the clear sweat,
but don't remember if anyone really knew the answer to that one.

Maybe Tom can comment on a race track horse's diet vs work load.
I'm sure most race horses get 5X the daily grain endurance
horses get... not the same type of racing.

Barb