honor

Title: honor

Since I'm a beginner (I mean real beginner) at this sport and also a
"lurker"  I don't usually post anything.  But I do want to agree with Paddi
on her point here.  I believe part of the problem our society has today is
that we have become reluctant to "police" ourselves.  But I will never let
anyone get away with "shortcutting" a trail during a competitive event.
Would someone let it happen at the Olympics?  NO. then why should we let
someone get away with it at a local event?  If more of us stood our ground
and INSISTED this be taken care of immediately, it would happen less and
less.  Another benefit is that it would improve the overall pride in this
sport, because dishonest people would be forced to play by the same rules as
the truly dedicated, honest riders.  And then what?  Well they would either
quit (good) or learn to take pride in winning the honest way (better).
I once threw a gum wrapper out a car window when I first moved to Colorado
from Louisiana.  I was 15 years old and on the high school volleyball team,
and we were leaving a game to drive back to our school. One of my teammates
got out of the car, picked up the wrapper and handed it back to me saying:
We don't throw our trash out the window in Colorado.  Whammo!  I wanted to
die.  But you know what?  I've never been a litterbug since then.
If you care about your sport and you take pride in it, then defend your
right to have it be honorable.
off the soapbox now, hope I haven't offended anyone,
sherry davis and hudson

This happened at a ride this weekend.
I was in the fifty mile race leaving directly behind the next rider. Mile
25.
We were to follow the fence line out of the vet check. This was the second
loop so we had all rode the loop once and it was clearly ribboned. The rider
in front of me cut across the pasture instead of following the set trail as
marked ,mapped and told by ride management.
(I have 2 reasons for being upset
1. he cut trail
2. we are on property not belonging to us and courtesy to the landowner says
we stay along the fence line and off his fields)
I galloped following the trail caught up to him and informed him he had
shortcut the trail and he had to ride the fence line. He said it was no big
deal and continued on his way. I told him it was a big deal to me and
everyone else who rode the proper trail. The rules are very clear!
I reported the shortcut to ride management as soon as I could. We were in
top 5 position and really moving. I lost a shoe and had to drop back leaving
this rider so it was awhile before I came in to report the infraction.
Now I do need to point out that he did not cut miles off the trail more like
a few 100 yards BUT a shortcut is a short cut regardless of distance and
rules are made to keep the playing field equal for all riders. How do we
decide how much or how little is except able?
Ride management took it to the BOD to be decided and I am not sure what
happened but he received his placing, points and prize. No one I have
contacted on the board seems to know how it was decided .It was not
discussed at the meeting...
I sat on the BOD for 4 or 5 years , 2 years as sanctioning director and
resigned over another ride where the BOD decided it was okay to be off
trail. I will admit when it comes to rules I can be a bit (others will say
alot) anal but the rules are the rules and must be applied to keep the field
equal for all.
We all spend alot of hours, money and love on the sport.

The ride management on this ride was new to endurance , in talking to him he
agrees that the trail must be followed.
This has moved onto the next level of protest as laid out in our rule book
and will continue until it is settled. Like a dog with a bone I have sunk my
teeth into this one.
This rider is new to endurance but has attended races, rode CTR and is
heading state side to ride a 100 mile this year. We follow AERC rules during
race time.
In answer to Teresa Van Hove the reason people don't tattle is because the
one who reports it is made to feel like the bad guy. I have been told I am
being petty, I have been told grievances are a hassle to the club so I
should drop it and I have been told to relax and just ride for miles. Well I
sure don't have to pay $50 entrance fees not to mention the expense of
getting to there to just ride miles I can do them from my own back door for
free. It is not always easy or popular standing up for what you believe in.
If we are going to keep the integrity of our sport everyone involved must
follow the rules. This is one sport where you must trust in the honesty of
your competitors since we ride alone most of the time.
The only one you really cheat is yourself and your horse. How can you stand
up and except an award knowing you don't really deserve it? How do you sit
arround a campfire visiting with the real winners, the ones who finished
behind you but followed all the rules?
I personally won't just tattle I will scream it for all to hear.
Happy and safe trails to all
Paddi
Canadian Trail House
manufacturer of quality biothane tack