From: SandyDSA@aol.com [mailto:SandyDSA@aol.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2000 8:33 AM
To: KDykes@cpes.com; ridecamp@endurance.net
Subject: Re: Ah..the art of cheating

In a message dated 5/24/00 8:23:23 AM Pacific Daylight Time, KDykes@cpes.com
writes:

<< So "in general" people who go out and buy a good horse instead of riding
 their backyard mutt don't deserve to be called "endurance riders" since
they
 don't have a "great love and respect for both the horse and other people in
 it" -- so the next proper conclusion is they are more inclined to "offend,
 to cheat or abuse".
 You need to read the post indtead of fitting it to your response. I never
said that. YOU said that. I SAID that there are many who fit this
description
to teh detriment of both the sport and the horses. Are you saying there is
no
truth at all in this? I never mentioned WHERE they KEEP their horse. Wha I
SAID was that some people discovered the sport well before they had
experience, knowlege or a love for the horse. I can tell you from close
experience that many STILL don't have these things and are palcing and
sometimes winning out here.
 And yes, I do get my "undies in a twist" over statements like this.... even
 tho I'm NOT one of those undesirables mentioned above  - thank goodness, I
 want to be able to sleep at nite!  Generalizations like this with no data
 back it up can't help but offend.
  >>Data? Okay I guess someone needs to do a STUDY on eyewitness accounts of
overriding, abuse and obgoing horid horse husbandry practices in teh various
sports. I have seen it and sadly that is good enoug for me. You are
fortunate
and sheltered indeed if you haven't. Just who will respond to a request for
such data? you must have missed the part that said MANY EXCEPTIONS. sigh!
there are indeed many people who fit this description in southern cal, not
just in endurance but also in showing - they are simply OUT THERE. They are
easy to spot, and even though many people don't have the huevos to admit it,
a handful of the top placing riders out ehre are known abusers - neglecters.
They are replacing their lame horses at a breath-taking rate. I know 2 of
them personally I am sad to say. Most backyard horse owners aren't into
endurance or much into shows. I can't help but wonder why you are offended
by
teh statement that abuse comes first from the uninformed, them by the
uncaring is many cases.