Re: RC: stirrups

I've always heard people say how great EZ ride stirrups are.  Even though
they made my feet fall asleep sometimes (it depended on what shoes I was
wearing), I still HAD to have a pair.  Last year, I crewed at Tevis for the
first time.  I don't know if all of you have been there or not.....but if you
haven't, and you're like me......you have got to get there.  It was like all
my favorite catalogs were lined up, waiting for me.  (okay, so I'm a little
obsessed.....what can I say?)  I was checking out the plastic EZ riders, as
well as the Flex-ride stirrups which were a little cheaper ($50?) than the EZ
riders. I was on a budget.....I had already scoped out some nice beta-series
reins from Hought endurance tack as well as a *kewl* (nylon) bridle from
Griffins tack.  Okay....so I told myself..."you're buying one more thing".....
(I know...I'm babbling)
Then I came across some different endurance style stirrups.  ohhh, I forget
the name of the company selling them...Shadow Tree(???)...oh well....at any
rate, they sold ortho-flex stuff....and it turns out these stirrups were made
to go on an ortho-flex saddle.  They are brown with laced leather on the
sides and a foam pad for your foot (not foam like cheap foam.....kinda like
the EZ ride stirrup foam..only not as thick)....anyways, these stirrups are
5" by 3"......5" being the width of the stirrup.  And, the best part was,
they were on clearance for 25 bucks!  I didn't end up buying
them....actually, my friend who was riding bought them for me as a "thanks"
for crewing.
OKAY.....getting to the point (for those of you still reading...thanks for
hangin' in there >g<)
Later, my friend heard someone say that these kinds of stirrups were better
(for some people...) because they allow you to move your foot around a little
more and use different parts of your foot throughout the day.  Big, honkin'
(those weren't his exact words, of course) wide stirrups don't allow you to
move your foot at all so you only use one part of your foot.....which is why
those tootsies fall asleep.
Sooooo, I have no idea who this guy was......I just heard the news from my
friend who ran over to the same booth that I had and bought a pair of these
stirrups.  All I know is that my feet NEVER fall asleep with my stirrups.  I
love them....so does my friend....I stuck them on my english saddle and they
work great.....now...if I could just get a saddle that was comfortable mile
after mile after mile.....
Renee