RC: Strangles

Kerry KDykes@cpes.com
I know this has been discussed on RC before (searched the
archives), but am hoping for some more specific information.
Ten days ago I noticed Spirit being a bit lethargic, eating,
but not as much as usual.  Kept a close eye on him for 3 days,
went out last Thursday night to find him hot and shaking really
bad.  Got my vet over in 5 minutes (only lives 1/2 mile from
me, fortunately).  The exam revealed elevated HR (56), a weird
heart arythmia, 102.6 temp, no lung congestion, good gut sounds,
throat congestion, little if any mucous discharge, major
trembling of his whole body, eyes and attitude remained alert.
Put him on Banamine and IV antibiotics.  I watched him
throughout the night but there was little change.  Next morning,
temp had elevated to 104.6, trembling continuing, no other
change.  Vet came back and took blood, more banamine and IV anti-
biotics.  Bloodwork suggested virus infection and bacterial
infection.  Continued treatment with Uniprim (oral), an
immunostimulant and bute for comfort.  During the next few days
he became obviously better, no temp, eating normally except for
a continued "sore throat", P&R okay, but still not "well". Last
night I came home to find a nasty open abcess under his jaw.
Yeecchk...  Called vet again to confirm my suspicions and he
agreed it was "classic strangles" but that there had been no
lumps when he checked him.  Also, both horses had the intra-
nasal vaccine (2 doses) last April-May so it didn't occur to us
that it would be that.  He suggested continuing the Uniprim for
another 3 days as we were scheduled to stop today, and cleaning
the abcess with a dilute betadine solution.

My concerns:  Reading the past posts indicates antibiotics may
be contraindicated for strangles and he's been on them since day
one, although the abcess did form and break.  What's the general
wisdom about treatment if abcesses have broken?  Anybody out
there experience a case of strangles AFTER the IN immunization?
I see the stuff on disinfecting, so I'm waiting till he's done
discharging to do it.  During this whole time there has been
very little mucous, hardly more than typical "hay-fever".  Are
they only contagious through the discharge period?  There has
been no sign of illness in my other guy.  How long after the
drainage stops before he can return to "normal" routine? -- I
don't want to expose anybody else's horse so how long should
I "quarantine" him from rides?  He's lost little weight -- at a
little over 15.1 he weighed 1045 a couple days before he got
sick and there's been NO visible change (I know, he's not
"typical" arab weight -- he's NOT fat, just a big Polish guy!)

Any other words of wisdom?  Thanks a bunch.  Private responses
welcome if this isn't of interest to others....

Kerry
and Spiritism (mom my throat hurts)
and Lefty (geez, and I shared my dinner with that guy??)