Weight Division Points

Kerry KDykes@cpes.com
Interesting topic.  I see the logic of both sides.....  Since
I've just started, points don't mean much to me -- yet.  I did
look at a 50 I completed and saw that I finished 12th out
of 21 starters, and 2nd in my weight division for 125 points.
Had I been riding in a larger ride, say 42 (for ease of math),
and finished in the same "rank" - I would have been 24th, and
4th in my weight division for 100 points.  (Of course based on
the "weight mix" on that particular ride, I might have been 12th
in my weight division, but that's life.)

Under current rules those who are riding for point standings
would be inclined to ride in small rides.  I'm not sure it
really works that way though.  Looking at ride results over the
past few years, the top completions seem to be generally the
same names for both large and small rides, with a few others
added in to spice things up a bit.  It seems that since most of
the top contenders ride both large and small rides, that
provides it's own "leveling effect" over time.  It does seem
that it would have more overall affect on people who don't
attend many rides -- but it's unlikely they would be in
contention for points awards anyway.

There aren't so many rides within a reasonable commuting
distance that I would forgo a ride because it was anticipated to
have a big turnout and bonus points might not be a factor.  But then again, ask me in a couple of years when my attitude may
have changed!

Kerry

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-