Re: RC: weight division points

Hi Steph,
     Thanks for explaining this.  I had read Randy's message, and the others
regarding it, and found them interesting but also not really understood what
the argument  was all about.  Now I do!  Very interesting, and I'll be
interested in hearing people's opinions.  Mine is this: at this very early
stage in my endurance "career," (only one 50 under my belt, and that not even
on my own horse) I am just so happy to have gotten to participate, FINALLY,
that I could really care less about the points earned or not.  I was just
thrilled to finally do a ride, and suspect I'll feel that way for some time.
So there's another angle.
     (Based on what I've read so far, and understanding what little of the
issue I do; I would say, I tend to agree with Randy.)

<< Here's a new topic to discuss:

 Most of you have probably read Randy Eiland's message in the recent
 EN by now, discussing the current method of calculating points for
 AERC in weight divisions.  I haven't read the article myself yet, but
 assume that the jist of it is that the current method may not be the
 'right' method. I tend to agree with Randy on this, but have heard from
 others that they strongly dissagree ... so I'd like to hear from more of
 you on the subject.

 Here's an explanation of the way it is, and the way it could be different.

 Now: Overall (non weight division) points are based upon overall placement
 in the field. 1 point per mile is awarded all finishers in a 50 mile ride,
 and
 bonus points are awarded for top ten finishers.  The higher the placement,
 the
 greater number of bonus points. BUT, maximum bonus points are awarded only
 if a least 11 riders start.  If 11 riders start, first place rider gets 150

 points, last place rider gets 50 points. If less than 11 riders start, the
 bonus
 points are reduced, with worst case scenario being 1 starting rider, first
 place
 finisher receives 50 points (no bonus).   There is a direct relationship
 between the number of overall riders and the amount of overall points.

 Now: Weight Division points are based upon placement of riders within
 their weight division. i.e. the first middleweight rider gets maximum bonus
 points.  But, bonus points for weight divisions are based upon the number
 of Overall starters, not the number of starters in each weight division.
 If 11 overall riders start, the first middle weight rider receives 150
 points (maximum bonus ) points regardless of the number of middlewight
 starters.  This person may be the only middleweight in the race and may
 finish
 last overall, but they still get 150 points.

 (btw the points are even higher on 100 mile rides - first to finish in a
 full
 field gets 450 points. If you're the only middleweight in a full ride and
 you
 simply finish (any placement) you get 450 weight division points.

 Another Scenario: Weight Division points are based upon the placement of
 riders within their weight division, and bonus points are awarded based
 upon the number of riders in each weight division (rather than overall
 starters).
 So in order to get full bonus points for a first to finish middleweight,
 there must
 be at least 11 middleweight starters.

 If you want to see the way the bonus points are actually distributed, check
 the AERC Rules & Regulations (www.aerc.org).

 Comments? Should it stay the way it is regarding weight division points,
 or change it to reflect the actual number of starters in each weight
 division.
 Maybe a smaller number of weight division starters than the 11 used for
 overall points?

 Steph

 sunshine :) >>

Trish & pretty David