RE: Weight Division Points

To bring this matter into perspective I offer the following set of
correspondence between Randy and myself. Randy and I have our differences on
some matters at times, but please realize these differences are constructive
and in the best interests of the AERC and its Members. These differences do
not affect our personal relationship in any manner! That disclaimer
completed read on!

Oh, one other thing, you all might want to check with Peter Ansorge, he and
I were the principals in codifying the rules and we both are very familiar
with the rationale behind many of the decisions.

Bob Morris
Morris Endurance Enterprises
Boise, ID

calculated?

> > As you probably know, in Overall Points it requires at least 11 > riders
to be awarded full Bonus Points. As an example, in a 50 mile event, if  you
have 11 or more riders, then 1st place gets 150 points, 2nd gets  125, 3rd
gets 110 and so on. If you have less than 11 starters, say 8  starters, then
1st gets 135, 2nd 110, 3rd 95 and so on. The way your Weight Division Points
are calculated should probably  follow this same equation...more than 11
starters in your Weight Division,  then 150, 125, 110 and so on. Only 8 in
your Weight Division, then 135,  110, 95 and so on. Well, it does not work
this way. AERC calculates the Weight Division points on how many Total
Starters, not how many  starters in the Weight Division. So, using a real
ride as an example, in 1998 a CT Region Ride had 16 starters in the 50 and
16 completions - 4 riders were FWTS. Ist FWT  got 150, 2nd 125, 3rd 110, and
the 4th and last FWT got 100 Points.

> Now, using a real ride in the West Region which had 78 starters and  had
19 FWTS in the ride. Ist got 150, 2nd 125, 3rd 110, 4th 100, 5th  90, 6th
80, 7th 70, 8th 65, 9th 60, 10th thru 19th got 50 points. SO, The last of 4
FWT riders got 100 points and the 5th place FWT  rider who was competing
against 18 other FWTS got 90 points. Somehow this  does not seem to be
equitable. It would seem that the Weight Division  Points should follow the
same formula for points as the Overall Points.  And, in fact, I think our
AERC Rules 8.5.5 thru 8.5.5.3 state that.

> However, for as long as I remember and as far as I can research - our
Weight  Division Points have been calculated using the Overall number of
starters as  the Base Number. If you are an average or slower rider, it
benefits you  to enter rides with few riders in your weight division because
you get  more points with less competition.

> I hope this makes sense and am interested in your thoughts. BTW, I  have
brought this to the attention of our Rules Committee, Competition Committee,
some others as well as Doyle.

 Randy

Randy:

I dispute some of your statements (in a friendly manner)
Another example found on page 46 is the Lost Wheelbarrow Mine I 80 Mile Ride
where there were only two starters, a MWT and a FWT. Both riders got 120
Bonus Points in their Weight Division with no weight division competition.
This is not fair.

The riders got only 40 bonus points in their weight divisions! 80 of the
points awarded were for the mileage ridden. On page 41 the Ride Results show
that the Last Place FWT rider in the Mt Laguna 50 with 54 starters got 50
FWT points while the last place FWT in the Rocky Mountain Ride with 28
starters got 99 points. At Mt Laguna the FWT Points were earned and
calculated using FWT vs. FWT. In the RMR, the FWT points were earned and
calculated using FWT vs. all other weight divisions. The Mt. Laguna Ride had
13 FWTS and the RMR had 5 FWTS. In addition, the 5th Place FWT in the Mt.
Laguna Ride got 90 FWT Points while the 5th Place FWT in the RMR got 99
Points. This is not fair.

Again I dispute your statement. In my issue of the November AERC News there
are 14 FW in the MT. Laguna, 7 in the Diamond Field Jack and 4 in the Rocky
Mt. Ride. The first thing to take into account is, the Mt. Laguna was a 50
mile ride and the Rocky Mt. was a 55 mile ride, so points do not compare.
That is why I interjected the Diamond Field Jack. That one was a 50 mile
ride. The 7th FW in the Laguna ride received 70 FW points and the 7th (and
last) in the DFJ received 60 FW points. Again remember, these points include
the basic mileage points so the 7th place riders got a bonus of 20 points
and 10 points respectively. A bit different picture.

I again stress what I sent you. The 1990 issue of the rules states;
8.5.5.1 Where there are fewer than eleven starters (all weight divisions
added together), all bonus points (overall and weight division) are reduced
by the following methods.

I have no recall on the Board making a change to that rule but the 1995 rule
book left out the explanatory parens( ) . Have Louise check the minutes to
see if there was a motion to eliminate the explanation. I have very serious
doubts that it was done.

I believe that I also stated the philosophy behind this method of
calculation.

Be glad to discuss it further with you.

Bob

Randy and others:

This matter was discussed during the codification of the AERC Rules and
Regulations. It was felt that Rule 8.5.5.1 was definitive enough to be self
explanatory. (fewer jail house lawyers back then (:p )

It is so written Where there are fewer than eleven starters, all bonus
points are reduced… . It does not say in the weight divisions fewer than
eleven starters. Note that juniors do not count towards the eleven.

I would check the office procedures where the methodology should be spelled
out. If it is not there then the Office Committee should rectify the matter
so the staff are aware of the correct methods to apply.

Hope this clears things up for you.

Bob Morris

What I am saying is during our discussions while we were codifying the rules
this same argument occurred. It was decided that it would not be equitable
to make every weight division have eleven riders. Hell, that would mean a
minimum of 44 riders to have each weight division get full points.

So, the decision was made that it would require at least eleven riders in
the ride for full weight points. This did not include junior riders.

It was also in the interest of encouraging more rides to be held. If the
only way to obtain points was to go to a very large ride (say in the case of
HW) fewer riders would go to local rides and the big rides would be over
subscribed.

The system has worked since at least 1987 when we published the codified
rules!

Randy, I just started looking back in our archives. The 1990 issue of the