Snowy River again

I threw out the Snowy River pics as a good chance to see what the feet and
legs of those horses were doing.   They are doing just about the same as the
hikers running down the steep hills (been there, done that, many years ago,
it's fun)
The trick is to keep the weight of the body mass of horse and rider BEHIND
where the leading foot, or feet in the horse's case, hits the ground.  If
this doesn't happen it's a_s over teakettle down the hill.    These horses
are not trotting or galloping,  but plunging down hill.  All feet are off
the ground part of the time.  Had to do this kind of thing a few times or
lose the cows, not quite this steep or this fast, and the wages certainly
weren't this good.   I was always lucky enough to have good horses that
could handle it.

We have got way far off the original question.   The fit, well conditioned
horse will climb the hill with a decent HR and pass the not quite so fit on
the way up with almost no stress to feet and legs.  Down hill at a nice  7-9
mph trot pulse will be way down and if the rider is just a bit careful  and
horse knows how to use himself, not a lot of stress   to feet and legs.
Hard surfaces and faster "may" take a toll on long term soundness.
As a rider I would much rather have a long gradual climb and short steep
downs.
As a ride manager, that's what I try to plan for.  (Doesn't always work 100%
but I try.)