Re: RC: Up Hill or Down

I sure hate to admit it but I have to agree with Tom here. While I rode
the mare downhill fast and am starting to ride the current horse
downhill fast I did it because of a lot of training in the sand which
provides for strengthening the tendons, ligaments, etc.

Both these horses are balanced and do downhill well. The "feel like"
they are skiing on their back legs while tippy toeing on the fronts. But
that is more of a illusion than a reality. A well balanced horse will do
downhills better than a poorly balanced horse - but hell a well balanced
horse will go up hill better than a poorly balanced horse.

But with the front end lower than the hind end, the center of gravity is
actually thrown forward which puts more stress on the front legs. One
way to see this is to simply put the horse on the flat and draw the
force vector from the "center of gravity" to the center of the earth and
measure the distance from the front feet to where the force vector
intersects the earth. Now put it on an incline and notice how this
distance becomes smaller since the force still points toward the center
of the earth.

Truman

--
Truman Prevatt