From: atlhealth@mindspring.com
To: Barbara B. Peck
Sent: Wednesday, January 20, 1999 9:48 AM
Subject: Re: Rabies info Horses & Livestock

Barbara,
Yes, you can assume that any titer of >1:25 is a positive response to the
animal having sufficient antibody to be protected if bitten by a rabid
animal.  If a titer is < 0.5 IU or < 1:25 the animal needs to be
revaccinated.  Current vaccines for use in horses confer only a one year
duration of immunity.
In rabies, cell mediated response is not measured & challenge studies which
all of us have done in animals over the past 50 years allow us to say what I
just said about serum neutralizing antibody (humeral response).
Yes, you can forward my response to anyone you wish.  If they wish to call
me, fine.  At some point I'd like for such groups to talk to me by phone if
neccessary.
Thanks,
Keith Sikes, DVM, MPH