Re: RC: Up Hill or Down

In a message dated 1/9/00 10:51:58 AM Pacific Standard Time, CMKSAGEHIL
writes:

<< << Actually, descending is harder on the horse, especially if it is done
under
  rider and at any kind of speed. >>

 Metabolic parameters suggest otherwise (HR recoveries, CRI's, etc.), but
going downhill properly is a learned skill for many horses. >

Wasn't talking about metabolic parameters. Obviously, moving uphill is more
metabolic work than moving downhill. I'm talking about biomechanics and
eccentric exercise.

> Cliff Lewis did a great article many years ago called "Rocks, Downhill, and
Darkness:  A Fat Man's Secret Weapons."  He did several trials on the same
trail--long logging road, AIR, so that they could haul to the top some days
and travel down, and ride up on other days--he and a runner friend would do
the course with the runner friend leading one horse and Cliff riding the
other.  On other days, they would switch horses.  He found recoveries when
they went up to be markedly different with the ridden horse usually taking
several minutes more than the led horse to recover, whereas recoveries when
they went down were much faster and virtually the same for the ridden horse
vs. the led horse.  I've kept an eye on this with my own horses for several
years, and have found his pattern to be pretty accurate.  Hence, my MO is to
keep the speed up going down, passing as many horses as possible (as others
get off and lead), and still being able to recover virtually immediately upon
reaching a check.>

Again, recovery numbers are a side issue here. We're talking about
safety--what is the best for the horse.

>  Granted, this takes more fitness of the musculature in the back of the
thigh as well as an ability to round the back, so the horse MUST do this at
home in training to get those specific muscles fit.>

More complicated than that. Downhill work has a much higher percentage of
eccentric (muscle stretching under tension) work than uphill. Eccentric work
is always more damaging to muscles, no matter how well trained the
individual. In addition, there are the gait mechanics to deal with. The
forelegs recieve much more stress going downhill, especially at speed. there
is delayed breakover in front, as the forelegs exert higher braking forces
than on the flat or going uphill. This enhances the possibility of
interference and encourges short-striding behind--hocks and stifles will
eventually suffer, even if the forelegs survive the extra pounding.

None of this has anything to do with vet check recoveries except for obvious
injuries. As you know, most mechanical injuries are cumulative, not
sudden--particularly in the case of Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness due to
eccentric exercise.

While repeatedly running a course downhill might better prepare the horse for
some of the stressors of this kind of exercise, it remains a dangerous
practice.

 >As to Phil's original question as to which way to run the loop--it will
have different challenges each way, so there would likely be merit in either
direction.  Tough choice without actually seeing the trail.  I find, though,
that if it is REALLY steep, the riders are more apt to complain if they have
to go down, because many of them are not skilled at going downhill or taking
a horse downhill properly.>

No one is skilled at eccentric exercise. Besides, in the past you have been
very protective of the neophyte rider--why not now?  Seems like you're making
light of their complaints while encouraging them to attempt things that might
injure their horses.

 > The excessively long backs in some of the modern Arabs (spinoff from the
halter ring) also puts those individuals at a disadvantage going downhill
because they have difficulty rounding--but then that gives an advantage to
the rider who has had the smarts to select a horse with good conformation.
Of course, as a rider who thrives on downhill, I LOVE the managers that do
that, because it gives those who actually TRAIN their horses an advantage
over those who only condition. >

Suddenly competitive?  Love to beat those you consider to be morons? Who'd a
thunk it?

> Heidi >>

ti