Re: RC: Re: Re: can you say tent?

In a message dated 1/8/2000 10:33:55 PM Eastern Standard Time,
mmieske@netonecom.net writes:

<<
 I have to admit that we ALWAYS have a fire and feel cheated if we can't!
 It's not just for cooking!  We're still new so we don't know everyone but I
 love that people will stop by just to say hi and introduce themselves.
 There is something inviting about a fire with people sitting around talking
 and laughing (or singing).  That fire is part of the whole thing for
 me....we had one ride where it rained Thursday night to Saturday
 morning...no fire.  Not for lack of trying...I tried whenever it let up
 even a little.  We were holed up in our trailer trying to stay dry.
 Miserable!  Gotta have that fire!  :)  Hope to meet you at one someday.
 Hey, there's always room around my fire, too!  :)

 Maggie Mieske >>

     To this I have to add that, as one even newer to actually participating
in this sport than is Maggie, yes, Maggie and Nelson do always have a
campfire going, and what's even more important, they are the first to walk up
to a lost newbie such as myself, say, "hello!, hey, come on over, enjoy the
fire, what's your name?  What's your horse's name?" and just generally go out
of their way to make you feel welcome and comfortable at the ridecamp.  They
will freely and generously share any and all knowledge they have gained, and
do not begrudge questions nor any time spend answering them . . . quite the
contrary in fact.  From experience I can say that (alas) not all endurance
participants are so civil, and some seem genuinely hostile to newcomers.   I
have been treated more rudely at an endurance ride than I have ever been
treated at ANY regular, organized trail ride.  Than I've even ever come close
to being treated at a trail ride, for that matter.  Fortunately, there are
people (both oldtimers and newtimers) such as Maggie who go out of their way
to counterbalance that perception.
    We can have fun with the tent vs camper issue, but it is also a serious
one.  I think someone else expressed this sentiment too . . . if the sport is
to grow, and continue to attract newcomers, then not only the competition,
but also the ridecamp must be fun and friendly.  I have two very good
friends, both long time "organized trail ride" participants, who tried
endurance, and gave it up, went back to regular trail riding, because they
told me "endurance riders are clique-ish, rude compared to other trail
riders, and not very welcoming to strangers."  I did not believe my friends .
. . the only endurance riders I personally know are not in any manner rude or
cliqueish!  And then I started participating myself . . . and, though my
experience is quite limited thus far, my trail riding friends perceptions
have been borne out, at least to some degree.
     I know that in endurance riders are in competition, and not merely out
for a joy ride, but the stresses of competition is not, in my opinion, any
excuse for rude or uncivil behavior.  It might be helpful to remember that
the newbie rider who "bothers" one with a question at what is "obviously" a
very inopportune moment might not themselves recognize the obviousness of the
inopportunity of the moment, and that the type of answer you give them, and
the quality with which your answer is delivered, may just spell the
difference between that person's continued participation in this sport or
not.  If, somewhere down the road, rides are cancelled due to lack of
participants, well . . . that ripple began somewhere.
     To Maggie and Nelson and all those many, many others like them in this
sport, I say a heartfelt "thank you!"  It is true that a bad deed casts a
long shadow, but one bad apple can never spoil the whole bunch, as long as
that bunch contains ambassadors of the sport like these people.   Thier light
drives all shadows back . . . at least, it did for me.

Trish & pretty David
Grand Blanc, Michigan