Re: RC: Re: can you say tent?

In a message dated 1/8/2000 12:56:50 PM Eastern Standard Time,
rides2far@juno.com writes:

<<
 So that's why I'm the last to leave the fire ever time!  Say what you
 will for your campers, but I love it when everybody hangs around the fire
 and visits after a ride. (when my horse is too mellow to get in trouble
 and I can finally relax and leave him at the trailer unattended).  If you
 rush back to your cocoon for a hot supper, you're missing the best part
 of the sport.  Now that I think back on the year, the best camp fires and
 visiting were at the rides with the least prestige.  Go to one where you
 could walk on aluminum rooftops from one end of the field to the other
 and you can hardly get anybody to visit.

 Angie >>

     There can sometimes be advantages to this phenomenon too, though Angie.
At the Bear River Ride in northern Michigan last year, as soon as genuine
nightfall descended, bringing with it the chill, damp air a north Michigan
pine forest exudes at that time of year, everyone in camp disappeared into
the safety of their heated campers . . . or their friend's heated camper.
Knowing that the interiror my lowly tent would be little warmer than the
outside air, and without the cheerful light and crackle of the camp campfire
besides, I held my ground by the fire.  True . . . right at first I was a tad
lonely . . . but then the silence and majesty of the star-spangled velvet
vault above and the brooding dark trees around joined me by the fire . . . a
wayward band of coyotes began to seranade, somewhere in the distance (I
rather doubt the camper people could've heard them), the comforting
background whisper of horses munching or occasional moving about on their
picket lines joined the whispered night music, and I ended up very, very
content.  It was a spiritual and very soul-filling experience.  I felt sorry
for the deprived souls in the campers!
     Of course, I was nearing the bottom of that bottle of fine chardonney I
mentioned in an earlier post, and perhaps it wasn't just the transcendence of
the night I was feeling . . .<g>

Trish & pretty David,(ps, does anyone realize how difficult it is to sleep
shivering in a tent under layers of blankets, whilst the heater of the camper
next to the tent keeps kicking on and off all night . . .!<g>)
Grand Blanc, Michigan