Re: RC: Small Arabians

In a message dated 5/13/00 4:17:31 PM Pacific Daylight Time, TddWil@aol.com
writes:

<< Does anyone out there breed for small arabs anymore. Like in the 13.2 to
14.2
 range. I ask because thats my personal preference, I'm 5'4" and a
 featherweight, and kind of enjoy the 'large dog' arabs. My friend has a
 little stallion, my geldings only 'fling' before the vet took his little
 gems, and I just wondered how hard it would be to find a little mare(s) that
 also had the right stuff to produce endurance type 'ponies'.  >>

Well, let me put it this way--when one breeds for old-time Arabian traits,
one gets individuals in the classic range--with the average being around
14:2.  Some are larger, some are smaller.  So if one uses quality and not
height as a selector (ie doesn't "throw them away" because they are more or
less than average height) one gets horses a hand (or sometimes more) either
way of that average.  So in any classic program, you are apt to find a great
many in the 14 to 14:2 range and the occasional smaller one, just as you will
find a great many in the 14:2 to 15 range with the occasional larger one.  As
I've said before--height should not be a selector in breeding, either for
large OR small--but since large and small both happen, it should not be
difficult for the individual rider to find large ones or small ones out there
to suit his or her needs.  When one focuses on height as a selector in either
extreme, there is a very real tendency to begin to alter the character of the
breed in other ways.

Heidi