Re: RACISM

Ah, but racists aren't concerned with the correctness of their xenophobia, are they?  Take nigger - short for Negro after the Negro river in (I think) Nigeria.  The fact that most of the original slaves taken from Africa had never seen the bloody river slipped everyone's mind!  And what about WOP.  Stands for Without Papers - Ellis Island, etc - but certainly did not apply to every Italian immigrant!
-----Original Message-----
From: Lif Strand <fasterhorses@gilanet.com>
To: Ridecamp <ridecamp@endurance.net>
Date: Friday, May 12, 2000 4:06 AM
Subject: RC: RACISM

At 10:50 AM 5/11/00 -0400, Barbara wrote:
This is a term that was used when people started illegally crossing the boundary rivers by swimming between Mexico and the US.  If someone knows otherwise, I am willing to be educated, but I think I have this right.

I too have always heard this explanation - but you know, when you look at the US-Mexico border, there really aren't a lot of rivers to swim across!  The Rio Grande is the only one that comes to mind - and most of the year you can walk across it.  Lif

Lif & Paul Strand
  STRAND ENTERPRISES fasterhorses.com
providing you with alternatives for your life
Web Page Design * Computer Graphics * Internet Research * Fine Art
Blue-Green Algae & other complementary health options
Arabian Horses for Distance Riding
fax: (561) 594-4609