Biltmore syndrome darolyn's take

BILTMORE:  As I watched my 3 100 mile horses graze around the Sunday after
the Biltmore ride I noticed they would head right for the clover that grows
abundantly, (but in patches) among the wonderful Biltmore grass.  I also
noticed when I expanded my electric fence corral on sunday (after others had
left), the horses also headed right for the clover & pigged out on it until
it was gone, then went back to the other grass.  15 years ago I lost a
little mustange horse in the Race Of Champions in Colorado.  We were running
back in the teens to twentys, not screaming fast, he made it thru the 1st
VC, but I noticed when he pooped he only had one or two little balls come
out, then he started going down on trail before we made the 2nd VC.  I was
barely able to get him in to the V C #2.  It took 6 hrs to stablelize him
enuf 2 get him off the mt.  Did a stomach tap in camp & they sent me on to
major vet clinic.  There it showed he had twisted/ruptured & we elected to
put him down... autopsy showed gut shut down and enough was dead that
indicated he was possibly in this state before the race even started.

Why????  Early (in his life) worm infestation damage?, possibly...
overriding??? don't think so, not a bad pace & early n ride, then I read an
article about what clover does to bovine & equine guts... creates lots of
gas.... hmmm.  The race site was thick with clover... & after they horses
ate all the clover in their first pen, we moved it to a fresh location the
nite before the ride started and he had even more fresh clover, plus an
increase in feeding that I usually give the night before.

Good riders and owners commonly come in early to a major race like this,
good riders lead their horses around for exercise & grazing the day or two
before.  A good owner will probably try to set up his pen where it is lush &
grassy.  What if..... these very specially taken care of horses (at
Biltmore... but could happen anywhere-there is a lot of clover available),
got just enough clover in them to cause a metabolic problem with this
increase of (is it Nitrogen vets?... what does cause this problem?... been
too many years since I read the article).  Could this be the "Biltmore
Cramp"?

I had three seasoned horses start the ride,  rode 1st loop together, vetted
almost the same, 2nd loop Razzmatazz fell back a bit, but still strong,
Albanet & Eldans Alad still equal in energy & pace, 3rd Loop Razz seemed to
hit the wall, very uncomfortable, (he may have had access to more clover
than the rest), he stopped eating, we let him rest for an hour or so & his
attitude picked up, finally started eating, & he went out & finished the
race very carefully and slowly-31st place, 4th loop Eldans Alad started
feeling a little blue.... he had the next most access to clover (in the
pens), they slowed down a bit, then he recovered & finished in 16th place...
now Albanet, who had less access to any clover ran pretty strong all day,
(6th place).   I personally feel that (meaning no scientific data to back it
up), the amount of clover they ate would not have affected them without the
stress of the competition.  But couple that little change with the stress &
you start getting problems that you might not otherwise.  Question for all
of those horses that experienced this weird cramping..... Did your horse
have access to the clover in his temporary corral... did U lead him around
thurs. & Friday & let him graze in clover patches....?  See how scientific
I'm getting?  Its a survey/study.   I just wish I had done bloodwork on the
three of them.   What do you think Roger & Vets????
djbd

  CYPRESS TRAILS:  SPECIALIZING IN ADVENTURE TRAIL RIDES, ENDURANCE RIDING &
LESSONS
          SEASONED HORSES FOR SALE OR LEASE---- FOR TRAIL COMPETITION OR
PLEASURE
             REP. FOR SHARON SAARE SADDLES, PROFESSIONAL CHOICE, AND KM (The
Human Electrolyte)
                                     HORSEMAN VIDEO SHOWCASE  --
Instructional Equine Videos
                     Darolyn Butler-Dial & Mark Dial
21415 Cypresswood Dr. Humble, TX 77338
                         TOLL FREE # 1 800 228 8768           Farm:  (281)
446 7232      Fax: (281) 446 0113
                             e mail: darolyn@swbell.net    Web Page:
http://home.swbell.net/darolyn/