Re: RC: Re: bits

Tracey,

I'll use my german martingale (when needed) which is not currenly
the case on any of my horses in a hearbeat before I'll tie their jaw
shut.  You might consider that although cavessons are the "norm" in
your world they are interfering with some important communication.
I imagine that you might have caught on to the D-ring poking
your horse in his palate a lot quicker if he could have opened his
mouth when jabbed.  None of my horses goes around gaping their mouths
to try and find the cause - not just tie their jaw shut to prevent it.
A sliding martingale can have plenty of problems - rings bouncing on
reins irritating a sensisive mouth.  Plus they totally interfere with
the direct line between wrists and mouth that is proper. (Ask any
dressage person - they can tell you horses ridden a lot in a running
martingale will tend to overmuscle the bottom of their neck -not so
good.)

Also - A french snaffe will put more pressure on the horses bars
than a 2-piece snaffle.  You may need this, and they also solve the
problem of the snaffle V'ing into the horses palate, but NOPE they
are NOT the mildest snaffle there is.

Teresa