Biltmore

Well since I have been instrumental in getting others to write their stories,
I guess I better step up to the bar,,,if you can stand one more Biltmore
story.
For several different reasons, I have not had the chance to start this ride
previously, so was real excited to finally get to head out on these trails.
Since I did finish, I guess that means I am 100 per cent for this ride.
Bragging rights  LOL
Some background....Coujur is an almost 18 year old gelding that I brought
into this world, rode in his first 50s and then turned over to my daughter
NIna to take to greatness(LOL)  Even tho he had never lived anywhere else, we
have had a terrible time getting him to tolerate high heat and humidity on
rides.  Lots of testing of blood etc. finally came up with extra plain salt
which helped but still didn't totally eliminate the problem.  This year at
the SERA convention Dr. Lynn Crespo said.....Small doses frequently.....the
key to electrolyting....Have been trying this all this year since and so far,
it had worked great...but....this was the most hot and humid ride so far.
To accomplish this regimen, I carry a tube with me on every loop and give one
about every hour.  I use Enduro Max ....
The most interesting thing to me is that no one mentioned that the head vet
announced a 60 pulse criteria throughout the ride, which caused a lot of
buzzing but no outright cries of pain.  I thought ...no big deal...have
always found that just means a couple more minutes to recover...
Well.......at the second VC, Coujur hung at 64 for about 20 minutes.  Had
that been criteria, I would have never known, but because of this, I
reavaluated my plans and just maintained my position rather than try to catch
a bunch of riders on the last leg which is normally Coujur's "modus operandi"
(Wow spell check says that is correct)
More background....I am a many times past 18 year old who has been doing this
sport since before we knew what electrolytes were and am amazed at how far
this sport has come and looking forward to the day when we are in the
Olympics.

Susan K