bits

Hi.  This letter has also done the rounds amongst my friends over here in
South Africa.  Stunned reactions everywhere.  I don't know whether you saw
the other post (it may have been private, but I have deleted it so I can't
send it to you) which described a bit with a French snaffle mouthpiece (it
starts off well), with a sliding gag action (ye gads) coupled with a
Hackamore noseband (yes, hackamore!)

My question to the author was this : your gag brings the head up, the
hackamore brings the head down and the snaffle acts on tongue, bars and
lips.  So, doll, when you take a pull, where does your horse GO?  No
response received.

Your "young friend" is an example to many people who do the "quick fix"
routine.  I have only been riding 4 1/2 years, and my first horse, Toc, I
took off the track when I had only been riding 6 months (all together now -
OH SHIT!).  He is a monster (not all of which was due to my inexperience, he
IS a monster) - rears, bucks, caprioles, won't work "on the bit", etc, but
not once have I used a gadget on him, apart from my elasticated balancing
rein, which I started using last year, under supervision, on the odd
occasion (never all the time).

I have a happy horse, who I can stop with body weight on the buckle, from a
full-tilt gallop.  I love him dearly and will not punish him with gadgets
for being an individual.  He events beautifully, even if he scares the
living daylights out of the dressage judges, and I trust him and he trusts
me, because that trust has been built up, through trial and error, over four
magical, if sometimes heartbreaking, years.

So for me the answer to a problem is simple, snaffle, cavesson, work, work,
work.  My post re bits was misinterpreted as a cry for brakes : it was not.
It was an attempt to find a bit (snaffle) which would take my new horse's
mind off of his mouth without punishing it, so that he could become more
attentive to my aides.  I have done this via the French snaffle.  Yesterday
in the school, I halted him from walk, with the reins on the buckle.  It is
an achievement which rates as highly as any rosette which I could win.

A motto I live by is this : horses trust us enough to allow us on their
backs - we should honour that trust, not abuse it.