Re: RC: Halter alrenative

guest@endurance.net writes:

<< I think the grassroots is taking the form of the new sporthorse in hand
 classes, which by  all accounts, have been popular where they have
 been introduced. (We've put them into the New England show for
 this year.).
 In these, the horses are evaluated and given scores, and are not
 expected t behave like bloomin' idjits in order to display "presence". >>

Having just given these classes a spin at a recent show, Charlotte, I have to
say that yes, they ARE a breath of fresh air!  And by the way, endurance
horses that already know how to trot out for the vets at rides have a big
head start on learning how to be presented at these classes!  (And as an old
ride vet, I've gotta say that the reverse would also be true--a horse taught
to present for the In-Hand classes would be a joy to evaluate at vet checks!)
 Judging is done at a relaxed flat-footed walk, a good working trot, and an
evaluation of conformation with the horse STANDING STILL.  And--manners DO
count!  (All refreshing concepts!)

Heidi

PS:  Have to include a brief brag--my husband's 18-year-old stallion that he
rides endurance brought home a Reserve Championship Sport Horse Stallion
In-Hand!  (And it sure was fun to be able to proudly say "Endurance!" when
asked what our discipline was...)