Re: RC: Biltmore Post Race Analysis OMNI

Hi Roger:  Did you have blood drawn for a full panel, so you can look at
enzymes later?

>Glucose was high because the K was low. One of vets can explain this

That makes sense.

>PRE-RACE PROTOCOL - went over this before- small doses of electrolyte

how many ounces of e-lytes did you give during the ride?  I think I am
giving a lot more electrolytes than you do.  What product are you using?
(sorry if I missed that).  I'm using endura-max.  I have compared the
ingredients in perform'n'win and enduramax and think I'll definitely stick
to using the EM......I like the results and the horses are testing out
really well.  I was able to weigh them each at the last ride they were
tested at and each horse lost 6 and 8 pounds respectively, during the
ride.  Did they have a scale at this ride?

>Electrolytes, for on trail I use LYTE and NOW paste. I have been using
>this for years. I believe this is about the best pre-mixed product there
>is. It does seem to work.
>ISSUE - I only gave 1/2 a normal dose on each loop - one time.. that was
>too little.

How much is a 1/2 dose?  I'm just curious what those premixed pastes
contain as far as ingredients - do you know if they have a website? I've
been comparing ingredients in all the different e-lytes.  (boy is that
interesting!)

>the appetite active- would that had helped? Since he was not eating
>well, would the induction of simple carbs helped to keep the guts
>working and thus full?

It might have helped, but based on my experience if the horse isn't eating
then something else is probably wrong.

I think your horse just had a bad day.  Maybe your bloodwork can give more
answers.  A blood panel would have been helpful to help determine hydration
status, though maybe you can get all you need out of the on-site
analysis.  At least that is what I've gathered from discussing the Pride
Project test results with various people (on my two horses). If anybody has
a chance to participate in the study, it is more than worth the cost.  At
least it has been to me :)).

Hope you find the answers you are looking for, Roger.

Happy trails,

Karen