RC: digestive intro to good grass

Barb Peck bpeck@together.net
Barb Peck
bpeck@together.net

This time of year we have really lush grass.
Coming out of winter, from hay to grass causes alot of
colics (and some founder) according to my Vet, he's really busy
this time of year.

I have too much pasture, and usually have to cut it sometime
in June(before any weeds can go to seed).
In the spring I alternate grass & hay untill the grass
matures and hardens off.  Start at 1 hr. in the am & 1 hr
in the pm on grass for the first few days (hay inbetween).
I watch their poop as an indicator, if it gets so it's not
formed in those nice road apples, and pretty green, I cut back
on the grass. thru May I increase the time, evry few days, adding
and hr. untill they're
out all nite (about 10 hrs.) During the day, they have access
to their stalls, with about a 1/2 acre of very chewed down (and safe) grass.
Just watch their manure... it'll tell you if you're over doing it.

It's finally green here.. 3 weeks ago we had 16" of snow on the
ground.. tomorrow I have to mow the lawn!!.

Barb