American River Ride - some perspective

I had hoped someone more involved in the ride would offer
some explanations of the circumstances the surrounded the
controversial campground at American River Ride, but since
no one has, I'd like to add this perspective.  I live in the
area and crewed for friends.

I sent the following information to a friend, who urged that
I post it to RideCamp.  So here goes.

Negro Bar, the park where the ride started, is in a
heavily urbanized area.  I'm amazed they were allowed to use

it, although the 'self-contained' camp area is labeled as a
' horse staging area.'  Apparently it is a place you can
trailer to and do a day ride, but not camp.  I'm not sure
this park has an official camping area for anyone, and why
would it?  It's a small piece of land wedged in by 4-lane
Folsom Blvd. and heavily traveled Greenback Lane.   Across
Folsom
Blvd. is the city of Folsom.  It's only 32 miles from
Sacramento.  Nice for a city picnic area, but not your
typical campground.

People on Ridecamp looking
at maps showing the American River make a big mistake when
they say it looks like it's in national forest or where the
Tevis ride is held.  Far from it!!  The trail doesn't get to

the American River for 30 miles.  The first 10 miles go
right through an urbanized area, then it's more
suburban (as it passes near me), then arrives at Auburn
Fairgrounds.  THEN they go down the canyon to the American
River.

Regarding the 11:30 raid with hands on gun
holsters, remember this is an urban area and the rangers are

probably most accustomed to dealing with drunken teenagers
on Friday
nights.

Hope this helps.

Linda Romander