Report or no report

Lif Strand fasterhorses@gilanet.com
To: Ridecamp <ridecamp@endurance.net>
Subject: Re: RC:   Getting PUlled -- It's a Privacy Issue

The bizarre part of where we've gone with this discussion is that originally the issue was whether or not ride results should show people who are pulled from rides.  All of a sudden we are discussing cat burglers who use the internet to figure out where you will be 4 months for now.

Personally if I was a cat burgler I would just watch to see when my victim packed up a lot of stuff in my victim's horse trailer & drove off.  That in itself is a real good indicator of the fact that he/she won't be at home at least overnight.   Even better, I'd simply wait till he/she had left for work (of I'd quickly find out if they didn't) which since he/she does that often than once a year is a more sensible bet than waiting for him/her to leave for a ride - if I was a burgler I'd be a little impatient to get to the job at hand, i.e., robbing the house.  If no one went out to work every day, I bet there's other routine things that draw people away from home, like maybe trailering out to condition on a fairly regular schedule.

Most burglers probably aren't doing internet research to see if their intended victims have completed some ride or another regularly for the last few years and therefore might be doing it again this year.  Maybe if the name was Bill Gates & that person had some really worthwhile stuff in the house it would be a different story, but most average run of the mill burglers want to take the easiest & safest route to scoring for the VCR or whatever they can get.  I don't think the most direct path to breaking and entering includes internet research to see if you are a member of a national organization that reports ride results.  Lif