Re: RC: Getting PUlled -- It's a Privacy Issue

> I don't find the former anywhere near as obtrusive as many of the other
> "personal" facts that seem to be at the fingertips of any and everyone in
> today's society--do I think it's right?  No.  But how about the garbage that

That's the point.  The Internet has made it all too easy to make
information publicly available, which a lot of people and organizations
have done without considering the full consequences of the issue.  I would
like the AERC to consider this one a bit more.

> gets put out on your credit rating when an ex-spouse cleans out the checking

Your credit report is not available online to anyone who chooses to
search.  That's not an accurate analogy.

> important things out there than AERC ride stats...  And if a prospective
> employer is one of the more radical PETA members, then I do not WANT to work
> for him/her anyway, and would just as soon he/she know EXACTLY why I won't
> work there!!

That is certainly your prerogative, but do you really think you are
entitled to make that decision on behalf of every other endurance rider in
this country?

> As for the second--whatever happened to honesty?  An employer should know

What business is that of yours or the AERC's?  I thought the AERC was in
the business of endurance, not promulgating honesty in the personal lives
of its members?

> AERC rides occur in public places, and are under public scrutiny.

There is a huge difference between hiding information and simply throwing
out information all over the place, without regard for the consequences.
I think more pull info is probably a good idea, when made available to the
membership and/or others with a "need to know" when they request it -- I
dunno, potential buyers of a horse, etc.  I haven't thought too much about
those details yet.  However, my neighbors, clients and ex-boyfriends do
not have a "need to know" that I did a ride on a certain weekend and how I
finished (or not).

Glenda & Lakota
Mobile, AL
AERC # M18819 & H27310