Re: Getting Pulled

Maybe we don't have a great set of statistical data/codes to work from, but it is what is in effect now, so we need to make the best of it. Everyone needs to use it consistently and honestly.

Everyone (ride management, veterinarians, riders) needs to be educated on the options available and their definition. The options are not out there to 'label' anyone. This required report is for education purposes - what kind of statistics do we have if all pulls are listed as RO unless the equine is 3-legged lame or had to be treated at ride site?

Ride managers need to stress the fact that riders will not leave ride grounds without the equine being checked by a ride vet and management needs the rider/vet card in hand at the end of the teams' competition. Veterinarians and ride management should make sure, to the best of everyone's abilities, that all equines are checked by a ride vet after finishing or withdrawing.

This is how TERA ride managers have chosen to interpret the codes:
Metabolic (M) is used whenever the equine does not meet criteria within a specified time, is in need of treatment, etc.
Lameness (L) should be self explanatory, but does include the equine who is lame due to something as non-threatening as a stone bruise.
Rider Option (RO) is only for use when the rider is not capable or willing to continue. If metabolic or lameness is part of the reason the rider is withdrawing, then M or L will be listed.
Overtime (OT) is self explanatory, too.

Linda Parrish
Kennard, TX

p.s. I think Karen, Heidi & Bob have written some very good posts on this subject. Thank you, Karen, for starting it! :-)