shoeing before a ride

Ahoy Ridecampers!!!!!!
    I am in *such* a good mood!!!!! Probably because I haven't gone to school
in....uhh....7 days....and I still have 2 more days left!!!!!!  Not only have
I been away from desks for a week, but I have spent this last week smelling
like horses!  it's great!  wooo hooo....
but uh seriously....I have a question.
    do you HAVE to get a coggins test if you want to go from California to
Oregon for a ride?  simple as that.....
okay...question 2....
    what is the earliest you will get your horse shod before a
ride...AND....what is the oldest a set of shoes can be (for you and your
horse) before they are no longer "endurance rideable"?  I realize every horse
is different....but what works for you?
thanks
Renee