Re: RC: Fw: Re: Getting Pulled

In a message dated 4/28/00 4:48:54 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
firedancefarms@prodigy.net writes:

<< John,
  It shouldn't be EITHER PLACE.  I know several very unhappy people who have
  PULLED LAMENESS or PULLED METABOLIC next to their horse's names.  They were
  very surprised...and very angry...as they pulled themselves as a rider
 option.
  Do you want PULLED METABOLIC splashed all over everywhere when you decided
  your horse wasn't eating well, or maybe his CRI was 12/14?  Geeze, EVERYONE
 is going to think you OVERRODE YOUR HORSE of course!! >>

If your horse was not eating well, etc., then the problem IS metabolic,
whether YOU pull him or the vet pulls him.  The conclusion of
PULLED-METABOLIC is TRUE.  Why are you afraid of the truth?  As for having it
"splashed around"--believe me, what gets "splashed around" is the fact that
YOU were smart enough to detect the problem and YOU were big enough to deal
with it on your own.  That sort of reputation gets around--as does the
opposite, when folks are NOT good about taking care of their horses and the
vets have to continually intervene.  And quite frankly, to me, trying to
"cover up" why the horse was pulled after the fact is no more honorable than
trying to cover up the problem to the ride vet.  Both are patently dishonest,
and both make me wonder what it is that the rider is trying to hide.

What we are seeking here is information.  And if folks are more concerned
that someone might say something bad then they are about learning what goes
wrong at rides and why, then SHAME ON THEM!!

And DON'T ask us to make another category differentiating which lame horses
were pulled by their riders and which were not--managers and vets have plenty
of paperwork and things to keep track of as it is.  "And frankly dear, I
don't give a damn!"  I just want to know what happens to horses at rides--do
they go lame, do they have metabolic problems, OR WHAT??  And with that
knowledge, may we all learn to do a better job.

Heidi