Re: RC: Re: Getting Pulled

In a message dated 4/27/00 10:16:49 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
firedancefarms@prodigy.net writes:

<< THERE IS NOTHING BUT NEGATIVE TO BE GAINED FROM LISTING NAMES!!!
 1. LYING
 2.  RIDING ON WHEN YOU KNOW YOU SHOULD QUIT
 3.  HURTING THE HORSE IN THE LONGRUN >>

Sorry, but I have to give the opposite viewpoint here.  We have listed pulls
in PNER for years, and I have yet to see the sort of backbiting happen that
is mentioned here.  There is a rock out there with everyone's name on it at
one time or another.  And if the vetting is so bad that riders are allowed to
ride when they should quit, then SHAME ON THE VETS!!  The VAST majority of
pulls are "rider option" in the sense that it is the RIDER that makes the
decision before the vet says "you have to pull"--even when the vet is ready
to make that call.  There is NO stigma to being pulled if the vets, managers,
etc. make it clear that the riders who pull have "done the right thing" and
have taken good care of their horses.  The reason for listing pulls as lame,
metabolic, etc. is to find out WHY endurance horses fail to finish in hopes
that we can improve conditioning, strategy, management (both of horses and of
rides), etc.--not to blacklist riders.  Did we get more metabolic pulls at
Ride ABC than the norm?  Was it the weather?  Was it because ride management
failed to have water at crucial places?  Do we need to learn more about
electrolyting?  Etc.  As for stigmas that go with riders--in my experience,
there is more of a stigma attached to continually riding a horse to the
ragged edge than there is with being pulled--circumstances of pulls soon get
around, and believe me, most of us KNOW when "Sally" rode her horse to the
wall and had to have ride vets argue with her that her horse was not going on
vs. "Jane" who had a mild problem and pulled on her own at the mere
suggestion that the horse was not 100%.  No matter what is listed, "Jane"
will earn the respect of her fellow riders and of the vets and managers, and
"Sally" will not.

We've accepted the listing of pulls regionally since forever, and it has not
been a problem.  Look at this scenario...  "Joe" has an endurance horse for
sale.  He says it has a 100% completion rate.  Unless one lives in the NW
where the information is readily available, the buyer does not know that
"Joe" is lying.  Come to find out the horse has a chronic suspensory problem
and the buyer just got suckered.  "Jack" has an endurance horse for sale.
There is no reason to lie about the fact that the horse was pulled at XYZ
ride, because it has been published.  "Jack" provides the buyer with all the
facts, the buyer can talk to the ride vet, "Jack's" home vet, etc., and make
an informed decision about this horse.  Scenario two--I want to go to XYZ
ride.  The manager tells me that there is lots of water, the weather is
always great, yada yada yada.  But I look at last year's results and it shows
that there was a WAY higher incidence of metabolic pulls at that ride than is
the norm for the region and the season.  What's more, there are some names on
that pull list that I KNOW can manage their horses pretty well.  I may just
give XYZ ride a miss!  Same with a high incidence with lameness, unless the
manager is up front with me about what it is about their footing, etc., that
causes the problems, so that I can prepare for same.  Sorry, but I find the
LACK of publication to be far more conducive to dishonesty.  I'm all for the
publication of FULL ride results, including pulls.  If you always tell the
truth, you never have to remember to whom you told it.

Heidi