trail safety, cats,etc

Many years ago I was hiking in the Blue Ridge Mtns. with my 3 kids and
we came across a bear and her cubs on "our" trail.  These are brown
bears fairly harmless except if they think their babies are being
threatened.  The kids were all excited and wanted to shout and jump up
and down to scare them off our trail.  I said no lets just go waaaay
around them thru the woods.  That evening at the ranger campsite after
the talk the kids told him about seeing the bears.  I asked what would
have been the best thing to do.  He said shout and jump up and down and
scare them off the trail.  So in that instance the kids did know better
than mom.   Louise