Re: RC: Re: trail safety: cats, etc

In a message dated 4/27/00 7:48:46 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
BMcCrary27@aol.com writes:

<< So, if I were ever to meet
 a lion, I'm sure my instincts would be to raise my arms high and roar like a
 ferocious beast of some sort.  >>

Barbara, I think your instincts are correct here.  If you run, you look like
a prey species.  (Think house cats and mice, and cougars and joggers.)  If
you become "bigger" and more alpha, the cat's instinct is to back down and to
live to hunt another day.  This may not work for one that is a real rogue,
but this is what I've been told by folks who understand big cats, and it
makes a lot of sense to me.  Am reminded of the story told by a naturalist
(wish I could remember who it was--it was a fairly well-known person) who had
the "privilege" of watching a stare-down between a grizzly bear and a
buffalo.  Neither one "gave in" and finally both just walked away from the
encounter...

Heidi