If you live and ride in L.A. County...

Please send this information to everyone you know.  Don't wait
until the County is at your doorstep.All L.A. County horse people must unite
and work together on these issues.

WAKE-UP  CALL  TO  EQUESTRIANS

Among the guiding principles of many homeowner associations is a
commitment to the community of  "preserving the rural character of the
region."  Toward that goal of retaining the rural lifestyle, it is important
for each of us to demand from our county government adequate protection for
the rural equestrian lifestyle.  We must also request that our homeowner
associations send letters to the Planning Commission and to the Board of
Supervisors in support of our rural equestrian lifestyle.

We have requested specific equestrian language be added to the
North Area Plan in order to assure continued equestrian activities in this
National RECREATION Area. The historic equestrian activities and the
continuous location of horses in this area contribute to the diversity and
enrichment of the County's residents.  Over $200 million of public funds was
used to acquire these Parklands; lands that were committed for
recreation.Additionally, the area must have visitor-serving equine
facilities, both private and public ones, including public staging areas for
access to OUR Parklands.  This recreation area was NOT meant to be an
off-limits preserve or a museum.  The Local Coastal Plan (LCP) that is now
being drafted has also ignored the equestrian community.

NOW is the time for you to stand up to this direct assault on the rural
lifestyle and on equestrian and other recreation activities.
Protect your rights.  Otherwise, the anti-horse forces (and there are plenty
of them) will forever change your way of living. REC Recreation & Equestrian
Coalition has been formed to pro-actively protect the equestrian and
recreation community.  Your support is vital to keeping this area rural for
recreation.

Please take the time that it takes to send an email, letter or fax to
Regional Planning and to the Board of Supervisors to let all of them know "
that you demand protections for equestrians in the North Area
Plan."   This must be done before the May 10th Planning Com. Hearing on the
North Area  Plan, in order to be included before final adoption.

Then, send a second email, letter or fax regarding the proposed RR-L
ordinance.   In that correspondence request that "all reference
to horses and other livestock as well as to camping and grading for arenas
be deleted from the proposed RR-L zoning ordinance." Regional Planning Com.
320 W. Temple Ave., LA 90012 / email: lstark@planning.co.la.ca.us
Phone: 213-974-6411  /  Fax: 213-626-0434  (Lee Stark, planner)
Commissioners: Ms. Campbell, Chair;  Ms. Vargo;  Mr. Pederson;  Mr. Toy;
Ms. Feldman

Board of Supervisors  500 W. Temple Ave., Los Angeles 90012
SUPERVISOR      Phone       Fax     Email
Michael Antonovich  213-974-5555    213-974-1010
fifthdistrict@bos.co.la.ca.us
Don Knabe       213-974-4444    213-626-6941
don@bos.co.la.ca.us
Zev Yaroslavsky     213-974-3333    213-625-7360
zev@bos.co.la.ca.us
Yvonne Burke        213-974-2222    213-680-3283
seconddistrict@bos.co.la.ca.us
Gloria Molina       213-974-4111    213-613-1739
molina@bos.co.la.ca.us

We appreciate receiving a copy of your comments: email
srmorris99@aol.com /
fax 818-889-4540 / address REC at P.O. Box 245, Agoura Hills, CA
91376.  For
further information please call 818-991-1236.

MARK YOUR CALENDAR & ATTEND the MAY 17TH  4:00 pm  HEARING on
the RR-L ZONING
at Las Virgenes Water District office, 4232 Las Virgenes Rd,
Calabasas.
(About * mile south of freeway)