From:  Roger Rittenhouse-vmaxept[SMTP:roger@vmaxept.com]
Sent:  Wednesday, April 26, 2000 12:36 AM
To:  RideCamp
Subject:  RC:  MORE feed Info-phone nbs

Seems a few riders asked about the feed and hay.. if you are out of the
area and would like to see if you can get these products shipped
direct.. call the below numbers..

Lucerne Hay 800 723 4923  ME
if a group from a barn or about 5 riders get together - you can get it
trucked for a good price-- as in getting 4 tons or so shipped.. cost per
bale goes down..you will also get a great price from the mfgr if you buy
that much
call them to discuss.. this hay is that great it may be worth the
effort.

PENNFIELD 717 299 2561 PA.. ask if there is a dealer around you - you
can also get the bags shipped UPS 100 weight --not all that costly..
thats only 4 bags..need 200lbs
may be able to work out a direct ship deal with them also.. but I am
having to get my own trucker to pick it up - rather then let them get a
shipper..but then I am a dist..

along those lines - I am now getting the Farr Legacy-- and Nutrina
VITALITY  - I have to go to Douglasville Ga - my daughter lives there--
and i pick it up at dealer there-- i order it and send a check - then
she picks it up or i do when i make a trip down there.. a bit of a
problem but i got 5 bags of each  and some equine sr and high grade
steamed oats.. a real load of grain-- i only need to get about 4 to 5
loads per year..

HOW TO KEEP GRAIN FROM GOING BAD..

Have to get a mess of grain like this -it will get buggy and moldy very
fast in the SE..SO
I bought 2 of the low cost used 6 cuft - chest freezers.
I set the temp as high as it will go - that is on position 0 or 1, the
temp is about 33 deg ..
I dont run the freezer in the winter

The grain will keep for a very long time like months.. it stays fresh,
does not spoil.
I make a mix in one - my base mix -- and keep unopened bags in the
other..
i can get about 400 lbs of mixed grain in one freezer.

I make a base mix as follows
ONE bag each
steamed crimped oats or rolled oats
FARR-L
VITALITY 10%
I mix up a total of 300 pnds or more

I keep FARR-L open in the other unit to add more for each horse as i
think it is needed.

I feed the Nutrina EQ SR in addition to the base mix to the two older
horses.. amt is based on how they look.

to the ration of grain i add about two good handfuls of the hay chop -
mix it all up

have cut back on the beet pulp - but use about two coffee cans per
horse..
all grain is by weight

supplements:
abc plus
abc vit-e/se or mega-sel
abc hoof for two with poor hoof walls- getting better
garlic in summer
nupro multiflex cs/gl-s
rice bran -equi-jewel or uck cocosoya oil - when i want more fat and
less grain..not fed to all-- only those working hard or hard keeper

more later
rr